Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chatbox Code of Conduct Reminder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point about all the unregistered visitors Andrew. I had never thought of that. I always thought from the point of view of a member who already grew most of the common things. Not someone looking for info and plants to start out.

Also good point Av, I am on some other forums where there are some fairly heated discussions about the quality of plants from other places, and a lot of members will gang up on those burned by other places saying "this is why you should only buy from (insert name here)!" I find these posts do get rather annoying and the discussions can get a bit heated.

My opinions have been swayed, the no vendors rule should probably remain.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True that Butch... I hadn't a thought of that.

Adnedarn: yeah, and having it based on post-count could be overcome by thousands of pointless posts too - I'm a member of some other forums where people who know nothing get the title 'wizard' and things like that for no real value-added posts which is deceptive and unhelpful for noobies thinking they're asking someone who knows what they're talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    True that Butch... I hadn't a thought of that.

Adnedarn: yeah, and having it based on post-count could be overcome by thousands of pointless posts too - I'm a member of some other forums where people who know nothing get the title 'wizard' and things like that for no real value-added posts which is deceptive and unhelpful for noobies thinking they're asking someone who knows what they're talking about.
    I've seen people attain over 10k in 4 months.
    A different guy did 1k in less than 24 hours.

Seriously.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.....

Terraforums Rules for Participation #5 states:
    Make your posts of a contributory nature; don’t waste forum space (for example, don’t post 10 smileys and nothing else).
    and about the Chat Box specifically
    Keep on topic with the forum. While the chatbox is open to a variety of topics, it is preferred that the conversation be carnivorous plant oriented or topics that any member can participate in at anytime. The chatbox is not intended to be an IM substitute. For example, the chatbox should not be used to discuss, strategize, or gloat regarding current online gaming between members, since that is a conversation between two or three members only and discourages others from getting involved. The topics of the chatbox should be of interest to the people that would normally browse TerraForums who could join in a conversation. You can always email, PM or IM about more personal topics like gaming and what you did over the weekend.
    If you feel you have to tweet off-topic stuff that's what Twitter is for. Your audience can follow you there and you can high-five or fist bump each other there all you want.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump.

It seems it would do many of the new members (and some of the older members) good to review this thread as well as the forum and chatbox rules.

When Andrew gets out the ban hammer he's like Captain America and doesn't mess around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...now for my two cents, which can't even buy bubble gum anymore.

The no-vendor rule is simply that, a rule. You do not change the rules to fit it's members. Alot of members hang out here BECAUSE of the rules. Too laxed of rules and you have a circus, too stringent of rules and you have an "information only" forum. TF is in the middle where EVERYONE can learn and teach in the same thread.

As has been said in a few recent posts, there becomes alot of "side taking" when there is too much chatter about vendors. Anyone that is a member of some of the more popular REPTILE FORUMS can agree. Too much mud slinging going on.

Also, a new member is labled a newbie, DO NOT consider them a beginner just because of that. With that said, non-members make a decision about joining a group based upon what they see on their first visit. An experienced keeper will not stick around if it is like High School Detention in here, nor will a SERIOUS beginner take the site seriously if they do not feel that the members are approachable, and willing to help without being judgemental.

Im sorry if I went a bit off subject, but the rules should not be on the stand, behavior should. PM, AIM, e-mail, etc., that is where you talk about vendors. Make it a conversation, not an advertisement.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what SgtSarracenia said, specifically about the newbie comment.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm bumping this thread. Participants in the chatbox would probably do well to review this discussion.

A word about the language (bad word) filter. Andrew mentioned this before and I'll post the link when I find it. Words that get replaced with asterisks by the bad word filter are deemed in appropriate by Andrew. Do not try to circumvent the bad word filter with creative typing such as padding with spaces or non-alphabetic characters etc. The language filter does simple replacements and sometimes censors parts of an appropriate word or typographical errors. However, if a word is meant to be censored it should remain censored. Period.

See also:
    Chatbox rules
    and
    Chatbox... and rules in general

Take this as a bit of friendly advice before more formal measures are taken.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast