What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which light to supplement my kitchen window?

Thagirion

Budgies are best
I have a few nepenthes truncatas growing on my kitchen window. The light in there is pretty good as there's another window that shines in, the over head flourecents and the window itself. But I will want to get something else directly over the window above my sink. I have two pots hanging there now and the cieling space is very limited. It's 3'4" long by 1' wide. I know T5's are good and was considering getting one of these.

l-t5-strip.jpg

The smaller two foot one. But I worry that even though it would be a strong light would it be enough to shine all the way down to the sink? I think the cieling is about 3 feet above the skin and sill.

My other option is one of these.

l-cfl-ref.jpg

Dimensions are 18" x 10" x 6". 2' x 2'

I copied and pasted those dimensions. They are written funny. I would get this one but then worry I won't have space for the hooks of my hanging plants. Which is better and can I use just the small strip T5? Oh also I read here somewhere about humidity make some blubs explode. Is this one of those? If so then I should go with the T5?

Anyone?

My Truncata Paisan has put on fairly good size and coloration with bright window lighting 4+ hrs of the day with the aid of some supplemental. It was putting out successive pitchers with inch or so growth. Use to use T8s and have the truncata placed at the ends of the bulb where it got probably the weakest of the light intensity, and still seemed to do fine. Kept the lights as close as possible though (about 4 to 6 inches as most) with light duration based on seasons.

I've since upgraded to T5HOs and have been extremely happy with the difference over the T8s. There's plenty already said about them, so I won't bore you. Only thing I will say is that the examples you provided don't show reflectors so you might consider finding something with reflectors as that will help out a bit and let you get the most out of your bulbs. Also the second option bulb I personally feel is a bit wasteful as it has areas that are basically covered (areas closest to the hood thing) and not providing much added benefit other than drawing energy. if you would that route, lining it with aluminum or something may help out.

HTH

Thanks for all the info. I thought that metal thing on the second one was a hood. So I'll go with the first one then. Here is my window. I can't put the light right against he plants because it will be hanging from that skinny cieling. I need a good light to cover distance, though it's not a big distance to the sill.

There are places that sell single tube ballasts with reflectors that you could search for or perhaps you may consider double. I like to mix bulb color temps of 5k and 6k (personal preference). Looks like you have an over hang outside your window which may block some light so any additional supplemental lighting you can provide it would be a bonus.

Those Sunlight Supply Sunblaze/Sunblaster strips are really good, and really cheap. I use them. I recommend buying the reflectors as well though, which I think run an extra $20..

zlookup: If they're skinny enough I could put two up there. The only problem with that is using up both outlets on my wall. But it would be ok since I don't have anything else hooked up to them. I'll make a video to show the whole area. Yes outside is a covered patio, but light also shines in from behind where the pic was taken. It's fairly bright in the day, but I still think it can be even brighter.

Brie: I'll see if the place I saw these carries them. I really need to show a better view of this whole set up. There's a decorative piece of wood over head between the two cabinets that's really eating up my space. I'd pull it off but don't see how.

If you are ok with space for 2 of those, you can get ballast that take 2 tubes that are fairly compact in size as well. Would only take one outlet.

I already ordered a single one and am looking to see where I might be able to squeeze in a second one that's also a single but it's still going to use two outlets.

I'm so glad I got that two foot T5. I got it today and I'm thrilled! The window is way better already. Check this out.

New 2 foot T5 full spectrum blub by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I put some tin foil on that piece of wood for more reflection. Haha, my poor budgies and cockatiels are lit up at night.

Far shot with new 2ft T5 lamp by Thagirion3, on Flickr

And a pulled out shot. I'll be ordering another one once I save up again. Perhaps I'll even put two on the sides. They have a place you can hook several of them together like Christmas lights. I'm thrilled. I'm very impressed with T5's. First time. Notice the Easter Peep hanging down in the top center.

you could side mount a light on each side, off of the cabinets.

Not to go too crazy with your kitchen look, but you could line the sides of the cabinets with something reflective like aluminum as well to try to eek out a bit more light for the plants.

boxofrain, yeah that's one thing I was considering.

zlookup, Those cabinets are so ugly that perhaps a little silver on them might be an improvement hehe. I am going to get a roll of that reflective flim from the greenhouse place I got the light. I want to line one of my tanks with it and can use the extra for the cabinets.

Back