Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I <3 usps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No... It is an independent agency... Of the united states government... Facts, they are your friend.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this has piqued my curiosity. Anyone out there who raises chickens for egg/meat...what kind of costs are to be expected in raising these things?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbkid View Post
    So this has piqued my curiosity. Anyone out there who raises chickens for egg/meat...what kind of costs are to be expected in raising these things?
    I would assume all you have to do is feed them and give them water. Pretty much like carnivorous plants... They have them in Hawaii and in places where it snows, so temperature shouldn't be a problem. You may need to house them in a chicken coop, but that's a one time cost... And you gotta pick up their poop and give them baths so they don't smell bad...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not really had any issues with USPS either. Much better, faster and cheaper than UPS and they deliver on Saturdays.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first got started in beekeeping I got my first few packages of bees via USPS.
    My local post office always called me as soon as they came in (usually around 5:00 am) so I could come pick them up.
    Unlike my carnivorous plants, they never sat in some sorting facility or post office for days at a time waiting to move on.
    For some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbkid View Post
    You will need a heat lamp/portable heater when the weather gets cold and beware of the electric bill. Some cities also require you to have a permit to own chickens, similar to pets (treating them similar to cats and dogs isn't a bad idea). You will most definitely need a permit and NPIP certification if you intend on selling the eggs/meat. Also, their poo burns grass if not diluted.

P.S. My chicken project started as an experiment to see if fertile eggs would survive the transit because I had a more ambitious idea of raising peafowl. Perhaps someday... After about 6 weeks, I had to give the chickens to a friend because the yard was not going to be large enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    I've not really had any issues with USPS either. Much better, faster and cheaper than UPS and they deliver on Saturdays.
    Mmmh, love Saturday mail!
    Last edited by fdfederation; 03-21-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketcaver View Post
    Unlike my carnivorous plants, they never sat in some sorting facility or post office for days at a time waiting to move on.
    For some reason.
    Live animal shipments are hand carried through sorting by the same clerks who handle Express packages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    peafowl are very noisy
    u don't need a heater for grown chickens only chicks unless u have a broud hen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast