Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My mail order chickens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My familiy had several chickens on our half acre lot in Southern California several years ago. I miss having chickens
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. I don't keep records of costs on a daily basis. I just know they are cheaper than budgies, pigeons and parrots. If you build the coop yourself you'll save a lot. Coops can be as cheap or expensive as you want them to be. I don't even factor in that cost, though I made mine too cheap based on someone else's drawings and will have to rebuild it within a year. I built my pigeon's coop and should have stuck to my own plans.

A 50lb bag of chicken food is about $13. Compared to 30-50 for the same bag for parrots and pigeons chickens are really cheap. The big bag of pine shavings I get is only $6 and starting out with feeders, waterer when they are chicks isn't so bad though you do need somewhere to keep them. The wooden box I have is my snake's cage. I put him in a spare 20 gal tank and the chicks got his big cage until they were old enough to go outside. I already had a lot of the supplies on hand because of other pets I have. With 8 full sized chickens that 50lb bag lasts about a month and a half though. I'll have to write down the next time I buy one and the next time it runs out. They get two meals a day into two bowls. They have to because the dominant birds won't let the subordiant birds eat.

Thanks wire_man. No, but I used to know breeders of them and have played with them on bird shows I have done. Budgies are the smallest parrots I think. Parrolets weigh more. Parrolets are like miniature amazons. Small birds BIG attitude.

richjam, oh I would miss them too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha! I miss candling eggs and the anticipation of their imminent hatch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - bring back lots of memories with this thread. I 'grew-up' in the sticks. While we had our base number of chickens - the ones that were pets (~3-5 would over-winter, depending on the year) every spring we would add 20-30 more. These additions would find their way to the freezer each fall and a few might end up on the table before that. Each winter, we (the kids) would scour the catalogs for possible new birds to try out - bantams, polish, etc as well as ducks, geese, turkeys. Almost every year we would try out some new species or varieties. I'm amazed that turkeys still exist since there was no proof that they had a brain. Geese had interesting personalities & liked to hang around people - which sounds great on the surface but when you're talking about a small flock of large birds congregating in the same area that we liked (ie: patio) & were obviously not toilet-trained - yikes (I don't think they made it the whole summer before freezer time). Some of the new birds would overwinter as pets but most went the other way (lots of arguments between parents & kids on this). Lots & lots of stories come to mind - wow!

.... and parrots. I'd always wanted to breed them & finally, after college, when we got a house, I set up several rooms in the basement. One was for conures (suns & jendays) and the other was for Solomon Island Eclectus. All incredibly beautiful birds with very unique personalities - I miss them ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you had titled this post "Mail order chicks" instead ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You folks are on the verge of upsetting my wife. Much more of this and I'll end up with chickens again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm technically in the suburbs but with a big yard I keep my backyard flock. That all sounds so neat. I bet you would have been argued as kids which birds to keep for pets. I love eating chicken and turkey, but any birds that come into my yard are instantly under my protection. I love friendly birds. Wild turkeys are nothing like domestic birds. They still have the survival instinct and they can fly.

I have had the pleasure of working and raising many species of parrots. I have a set somewhere in my flickr of when I worked for a private aviary. My favorite was working with the hyacinth macaws. I used to hand feed the chicks baby formula. We had some eclectus parrots. I prefer the males. Not as pretty as the females but I liked their personality much better. Yes they all have personalities. From the smallest budgie to the biggest macaw they are all packed with personality and intelligence.

Whimgrinder, hehe yeah.

Rocketcaver, well no apologies here. I still have more videos and photos to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chickens can be very entertaining.
    Imagine if you will a flock of 10 or 15 hens, a cold winter day, and a driveway on a very steep hill covered in solid ice. The chickens are at the bottom of the driveway, and feed has just been scattered at the top of the hill.
    I wish I had had a camcorder.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast