Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: My mail order chickens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow NICE nep eggs and dinosaur eggs and everything! It's been too long since I've painted eggs... maybe next year when I get it together more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice egg drawings! Though I bet I could draw a better spot then you
    Last edited by potted_plants; 04-07-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: text error
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ---- Albert Einstein
    Food is a important part of a balanced diet.
    My small grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thez yo. Painting eggs is always fun.

Thanks potted plants. Yeah if you have a fresh crayon with a round tip probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagirion View Post
    Thanks Thez yo. Painting eggs is always fun.

Thanks potted plants. Yeah if you have a fresh crayon with a round tip probably.
    A firefighting squad could help too when I manage to blow up the house
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ---- Albert Einstein
    Food is a important part of a balanced diet.
    My small grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always try to encourage people to keep chickens, so here comes my rant. XD Even with a small yard, you can usually keep at least a few of them. My wife and I keep a small flock in our relatively large back yard, and I couldn't be happier with them. Depending on the methods you use, they are next to no maintenance and they cost practically nothing to feed, given the amount of absolutely delicious, truly free-range eggs you get. We get wayyyy more eggs than we can eat, so we give them away to our neighbors. Better neighbor relations is always a good thing, haha. But really, they are incredibly easy to care for, they're durable (mostly), and they pay for their own upkeep. That's not even to mention that they're quite the entertaining characters to watch.

Having your own flock of chickens is very eco-friendly and far more animal-friendly, but it's more than that; I see those as bonuses. In the society that we live in these days, the majority of us could use a lesson or two in how to care for ourselves and not rely on everyone around us to do the work for us and deliver our goods to the nearest grocery store. Keeping chickens is a very easy, very cheap way to learn some of those skills. And to take it a step further, chicken poo makes some of the best fertilizer on the planet - compost it and use it to fertilize your own vegetable garden. Can you imagine a vegetable omelet in the morning using only ingredients right out of your own back yard, laid and picked that morning? Most of us can't imagine it, but I bet most of us wish we could. Heck, you can even build your own coop and learn some basic carpentry skills, though I'd suggest having some of those skills before tackling a big build, lol. Here is the coop I built for our flock, before some recent modifications. Totally redid the nesting area so they can't roost on the boxes and poo into the nests.

But anyway, both my wife and I are firm believers that no back yard should be without chickens. I know people even keep chickens in Alaska down to -30, probably others do so in even colder climates. Like I said, they're durable birds. We adore our flock and look out for their health and well-being as best we can because, the way I see it, they're looking out for ours too. Eggs are quite the superfood after all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chickens are illegal in our city. Stupid bylaws, you can own them but not eat the products. I don't think they have a way of complaining, but I am sure our neighbours would put up a fuss.

Cute birds anyways.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on all points, Kyle, but some people do have strange laws and/or PITA neighbors. We got our first chickens when a regular client of mine who knew I loved all animals asked if I could take his dozen chickens from him because his neighbors were having a complete hissy fit. I kept food out for them but honestly they didn't really eat much of it because they found plenty to eat on our property. And yes, they can be quite hilarious at times with their antics!! Sadly, something killed all ours but one of the things on my wishlist is to build a good, secure coop so I can get more and keep them safe at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to resurrect this old thtead since i've added a few chickens to my back yard.

I have 4 red sex links and 3 buff orpingtons.

5 silkies

Built an incubator

I have Easter Eggers, game fowl, polish and showgirls incubating

How are your chickens Thagirion?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast