What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My mail order chickens

PS-Nah, I don't really pack them around and baby them. They do understand I'm the dude with the food though cus I'm the only one that feeds and give them water.

Lime-I have them inside in a brooder atm.

So they are like cats, they love you for food and then they go off to do their own thing?

Yup. The older chicks go crazy when they see me walk outside haha.

Do you keep all the males, or get rid of most of them?

Silkie and Showgirl roos are typically very docile and will rarely attack, but can be extremely obnoxious and they have an annoying crow.

No experience with polish roos, but they shouldn't be much worse. In my experience, EE roos are pure evil and will defend their hens to the death, even from the keeper.

Just a few observations from my pens. If theres anything that comes close to my interest in CPs, it's chickens.

Last edited:
PS-ill probably get rid of most males. I don't want a yard full of roos but I do want fertile eggs:).

Bio-Thanks for the tips! This is my first year with chickens. I am far from an animal lover but I just love these lil things. I used to be mad that no grass, only clovers, grow in my yard but now I'm happy I have an acre of free range heaven....the chicks LOVE clovers. Just as soon as I secure the CPs and veggie gardens and tbrow up an electric fence I'm letting them have free run of the yard.

Last edited:
Couple of silkie roosters I'm going to have to get rid of.

Where did they come from? The comb on the one to the left looks a little funky.

TSC silkies so I guess its to be expected:p.

Oh look at those pretty boys. When you say get rid of, you don't mean eat them... right? :ohno:

Lol, not much to eat on a Silkie, unless you are into traditional Asian food.

I don't see why you need to get rid of them, unless you are out of room. Silkies don't fight. ( It's true. I have a pen with 5 roos and 4 hens :p)

Last edited:
Ha! I do not want a yard full of roos crowing and one of my silkie roos went Bruce Lee on my orps earlier so idk about the not fighting part haha. These silkies aren't showing the traits I'm looking for either.

Ha! I do not want a yard full of roos crowing and one of my silkie roos went Bruce Lee on my orps earlier so idk about the not fighting part haha. These silkies aren't showing the traits I'm looking for either.

But... you aren't going to eat them or anything like that, right? Right?!

Oh look at those pretty boys. When you say get rid of, you don't mean eat them... right? :ohno:

Heck no lol. Im going to sell them. Like Bio said...not much meat anyway. Now my orpington are huge...not going to eat them though haha.

I've never seen chickens with black heads before. They look beautiful, and their down looks so soft.

Back