Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heaters & Swamp Coolers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one of these: Jay-Bird Aquafog
    It provides significant cooling and increases the humidity at the same time. The fogger is controlled by a hygrostat that you dial to the desired humidity (I keep mine at around 80%), so when it drops below the RH you chose, the fogger kicks in and runs until the humidity is back up where you want it. It also provides significant cooling effect, allowing me to maintain temps that stay below 90F even on the hottest days, and simultaneously maintain very high humidity. My GH space is quite modest: a 10 X 12 footprint house.

A word to the wise: don't buy cheap equipment, it will only fail you.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I use one of these: Jay-Bird Aquafog
    It provides significant cooling and increases the humidity at the same time. The fogger is controlled by a hygrostat that you dial to the desired humidity (I keep mine at around 80%), so when it drops below the RH you chose, the fogger kicks in and runs until the humidity is back up where you want it. It also provides significant cooling effect, allowing me to maintain temps that stay below 90F even on the hottest days, and simultaneously maintain very high humidity. My GH space is quite modest: a 10 X 12 footprint house.

A word to the wise: don't buy cheap equipment, it will only fail you.
    That's twice as much as the greenhouse is... But it looks so perfect!

$200 for a fogger/cooler combination would be best... I don't want to spend over $200 on it. I have a pretty tight budget. I think a swamp cooler would actually be the best option given my budget, and it humidifies a bit. I don't live in a desert and the humidity goes really high at night, so I may not need a fogger for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming the heater I picked out is good for the $20 it is, I'm now looking at swamp coolers.

This looks pretty fly... http://www.amazon.com/KuulAire-PACKA.../dp/B003AO4680

Ja oder nein?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    how big of a greenhouse are we talking here?
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    how big of a greenhouse are we talking here?
    6ft wide, 8ft back and 6ft tall. I calculated the cubic footage with the slanted roof included, and it came out to around 220 cubic feet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And it gets to be 100f outside in the summer, and it's in the sun? That cooler will not be enough my friend. I fear you need to step it up to something with a 8" blower or so... Like the mmb8... http://www.air-n-water.com/product/mmb8.htm I have a mmb10 for my 8x10. I have an mmb8 as my emergency back up... and it can't even keep up with my 8x10. the 220sq ft. the one you're looking at says- is misleading if you ask me, the one I linked is rated for 500 sq. ft. and look at the difference in them. Note: this has no controller... so it's on and off until you add a thermostat set up.
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    And it gets to be 100f outside in the summer, and it's in the sun? That cooler will not be enough my friend. I fear you need to step it up to something with a 8" blower or so... Like the mmb8... http://www.air-n-water.com/product/mmb8.htm I have a mmb10 for my 8x10. I have an mmb8 as my emergency back up... and it can't even keep up with my 8x10. the 220sq ft. the one you're looking at says- is misleading if you ask me, the one I linked is rated for 500 sq. ft. and look at the difference in them. Note: this has no controller... so it's on and off until you add a thermostat set up.
    Andrew
    It's rare that it gets up to 100F. Most of the day in the summer, it stays around 85F at the hottest, so I can just open up the door and let it air out, while running the swamp cooler to maintain humidity.

If I had the extra hundred to spend on that evaporative cooler you linked to, I would in a heartbeat. Is there another model for around $200+/- that your would recommend? I'll definitely consider the Adobe Air MMB8 though, I just need a cheaper backup plan if I decide not to go with the MMB8.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plus, AFAIK the mmb series is gone ever since adobe air sold their company... the new "master cool" stuff is actually kinda crappy it seems. :-\ If opening the door is enough in your environment (not an option here ) then just about anything could help/should be enough for a bit of additional cooling. Also keep in mind, a lot of those ones like you are looking at must be hand filled... so you may want to look at one before you buy to see if it has room to add a float to. I would probably stay away from the computer controlled stuff- just because of the greenhouse environment. I'll see if I can look around for a cheaper option.
    Andrew

Oh, and I don't know if evaporative coolers are popular where you are as they are here.. but check craigslist- I have bought 2 from there that people barely used in their garage for really cheap... the mmb8 and mmb10...
    -Andrew

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast