Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in Lens Stacking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adventures in Lens Stacking

Cross-posted from my main picture thread.

So I bought a Canon nifty fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II) and decided why not get a 58mm - 52mm reversing ring as well to try out some extreme macro photography. Man, am I impressed. The nifty fifty is a legendary lens because it has incredible glass for extremely cheap, so I figured pairing it with my 100mm f/2.8 macro would still give me incredible quality, and it did. The magnification is crazy. Then I decided to ALSO throw on 35mm of cheapy extension tubes to pump up the magnification even more. Below are some of the results, as well as some pictures with just the 100mm macro.

The following shots are of a plant I got labeled as U. welwitschii, but after a little talking with Ron, I'm pretty sure it's U. warburgii.

Also, all of these are uncropped. I failed to save them properly in Photoshop, so the backgrounds on most aren't pure black. But I kinda like it anyway, lol.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 at closest focusing distance:

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro at closest focusing distance (1x magnification):

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end at closest focusing distance (2x magnification):

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end WITH 35mm of extension tubes (2.4x magnification):

The following set of examples is of D. spatulata x capensis.

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro at closest focusing distance (1x magnification):

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end at closest focusing distance (2x magnification):

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end WITH 35mm of extension tubes (2.4x magnification):

The following are of a small leaf on P. 'Titan'.

And that's enough of the comparisons. My verdict on the nifty fifty: It's an absolutely fantastic lens on its own, extremely good bang for your buck; but pair it with a macro and it becomes something incredible. So, so, so happy with that purchase. I literally could not be happier.

Here are a couple more shots.

D. dichrosepala subsp. enodes "Scott's River" at 2.4x:

D. adelae flower at 2.4x:

EDIT: I forgot to add, anybody that's also experimented with lens stacking, please do share your picture with us. I think this is a fantastic way to get ridiculously close up shots.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That is nothing short of amazing. What detail.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely amazing. Just.. wow. fantastic photos. The last one would make a great print!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible! Do you have any shots of your whole rig set up? It must be a beast!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, y'all.

@Natalie: Why yes, yes I do. I took one and forgot to post it, lol. Here's the setup:

And here was a pretty awful shot I got of how close the subject needs to be to the final element in the reversed lens:

With this setup, I am extremely careful when I move things around. That's an awful lot of weight awfully far out from the body mount point. O_O

EDIT: Oh, and I also had to lock the mirror and turn my music off for the extreme macros. The sound caused enough movement in the plant to blur the final picture. LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very tempted to do something like that for my camera. I'm sick of regular old 1x magnification! LOL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow that's a whole lotta lens!
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $100, the 50mm f/1.8 is incredible. It's a lot of fun to shoot with because it "sees" stuff the same size the naked eye sees it. And for another $6 (in my case anyway), a reversing ring makes the nifty fifty super versatile. Like I said, I couldn't be happier. Probably the best $106 I've spent on photography to date.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast