What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month April 2012

is that why you grow sundews? :-))

No, sundews taste bad, and they are slimy.

Nep nectar tastes great, but I have yet to try the actual pitcher juices. It concerns me that it burns my hands when I touch it.

it does? its really sticky for some of my neps but the others its fairly watery. It has never burned though :0o:

Sometimes when I spill the juices out (lol) it is really slimey and yellow. other times it's just watery. I think when it's slimey it is because it was digesting something.. :p

The stuff that burns my hands is from veitchii. I will be curious to try it out once my new neps pitcher.

Devon, I dont think its slimy for when its digesting because when my burbeddie makes a new pitcher the fluids are super resinous and sticky but waters down when its older.

I don't think that what i said was at all relevant to this conversation. Whoops.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

@Heli: Interesting.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :).

Here is an updated pic of the same P. emarginata x cyclosecta flower. I think the first picture was much better.
emargxcyc-full.jpg

Whenever I get a new plant in my collection the first thing I do is lick it.

That's why I don't grow cacti.

Seriously funniest thing I've heard all week :hi5:

Sometimes when I spill the juices out (lol) it is really slimey and yellow. other times it's just watery. I think when it's slimey it is because it was digesting something.. :p

I think it might just be a difference in species in some cases. I heard somewhere (I think in Stewart McPherson's book) that some pitchers have thicker fluid. Nepenthes Inermis can have super sticky, thick fluid in the pitcher, because sometimes bird poop is collected in the pitcher.

Yea im pretty certain that it varies from species to species. burb x eddie has really sticky fluid but hamata not as much.

Well, the competition is definitely rough, but I've been waiting for over a month to dig this plant out of it's regular home for a few pics (major tangles!!)

U. asplundii, Chiwinda Ecuador (short lobe clone)
UasplundiiChiwindaplantflowers041512RS.jpg

There's approximately 50 stalks in there. I counted multiple times, getting counts from 48 to 56. Wow - that cinderblock sure doesn't do the plant justice ... ??? ... but there's no way I can dig that thing out again ... :headwall:

Views of flowers...
UasplundiiChiwindaflowers1041512RS.jpg

UasplundiiChiwindaflowers041512RS.jpg

Holy crap that is the nicest utric I have ever seen :0o:

ohhhhh that is sweet Ron, very nice indeed....

HOLY CRAP!!! That is amazing!

Ron, that's simply incredible!

aaawwwwwsoooommeeeee!! :awesome:

Whoa! I've been away from this thread for too long. Amazing stuff!

Incrediblesauce Ron!

Back