What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And I'm pretty sure the major ice storm we had was a big cause of it... However, nothing I can do but really try and recover from this point... Was not a small loss by any means at least in my eyes... So here is the final tally

28 Dionaea muscipula Typical plants
5 Dionaea muscipula 'B52'
1 plant that was supposedly a VFT whacky traps though it was dormant when I received it and nothing more than a rhizome with a few trapless petioles (probably would have died anyway)
5 Akai Ryu
15 Big Mouth

Now for the Sarrs

mature S. 'Alucard'
Couple of 'Leah Wilkerson' divisions from my mother plant (no big deal, the mother can be divided again)
S. leucophylla Anthocyanin Free
S. minor Anthocyanin Free
10 S. purpurea subsp. Purpurea from seed
mature/near mature S. flava var. atropurpurea

Also lost several pots of young seed grown Darlingtonia

And now the Drosera

D. filiformis Florida Giant
D. filiformis Red
D. XHybrida
Several intermedia and rotundifolia (no big deal, I've got plenty)
Anglica (all of em, 15+)

So time to rebuild a chunk of the collection, not a huge set back but a considerable one considering the money I will have to put back into it

:( Sorry to hear about that. Was the ice storm recent?

That sucks about all of those sarrs, they seem pretty rare/irreplaceable. At least though you didn't lose all of your plants.

So sorry to hear about that, SK. That's a lot of plants to lose. :( Best of luck finding replacement plants.

wow thats awful! Is there any sarrs on my growlist that interest you? I'll send it to you for shipping price.

a few years ago I lost a big chunk of my collection because the machine that I was using to fill the water jugs had water that was just as hard as can be despite the claims of being RO water. TF folks stepped up and really helped out. Unfortunately, I don't have much of the above buy probably have some D Hybridia if you want. They haven't waken up yet so I'm not too sure where in the bog garden they're hiding at this time.

Wow, and I thought I lost a bunch... Sure wish I could help you replace those, but either I don't have them, or mine died as well.

I sympathize with your dionaea losses lol I lost quitea few myself and I am almost done getting them all back finally.

If you want later on thi spring I can probably help you out a bit with some.

And I'm pretty sure the major ice storm we had was a big cause of it... However, nothing I can do but really try and recover from this point... Was not a small loss by any means at least in my eyes... So here is the final tally

28 Dionaea muscipula Typical plants
5 Dionaea muscipula 'B52'
1 plant that was supposedly a VFT whacky traps though it was dormant when I received it and nothing more than a rhizome with a few trapless petioles (probably would have died anyway)
5 Akai Ryu
15 Big Mouth

Now for the Sarrs

mature S. 'Alucard'
Couple of 'Leah Wilkerson' divisions from my mother plant (no big deal, the mother can be divided again)
S. leucophylla Anthocyanin Free
S. minor Anthocyanin Free
10 S. purpurea subsp. Purpurea from seed
mature/near mature S. flava var. atropurpurea

Also lost several pots of young seed grown Darlingtonia

And now the Drosera

D. filiformis Florida Giant
D. filiformis Red
D. XHybrida
Several intermedia and rotundifolia (no big deal, I've got plenty)
Anglica (all of em, 15+)

So time to rebuild a chunk of the collection, not a huge set back but a considerable one considering the money I will have to put back into it

Wow that is really unfortunate... if it makes you feel better all my outdoor plants died too. :p

I've instead taken the tally of survivors:

1 S. purpurea

I too feel the pain. I lost all three of my bohemian garnet flytraps. They were my favorites!

I don't know exactly why this happened but I have a feeling it was because of the severe ice storm we had back in January... After it was over I literally watched as the flytraps deteriorated in front of me... I still have a few flytraps but nothing like before... I just noticed a good chunk of the sarracenia casualties over the last few days as I was cleaning out more dead leaves and thinning moss from rhizomes, counting flowers, etc...
The dews, I don't know why a majority of those died, they were in a large community pot of peat and sand, covered in pine needles for dormancy (nature gladly did this for me this season as opposed to me doing it manually before)
The only reason I can think this might have happened is because a majority of those that died were under cover and through sheer idiot thinking, let them get too dry through the major freezes, while the exposed plants were able to maintain a level of moisture...

Ouch, that sucks, Kris, but did you ever take any pictures of the casualties?

Back