Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap camera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap camera?

My camera seems to have gone walkabout, so I'm looking to replace it.
    I hike a fair bit, so my camera gets most use on the trail. That's why I'm looking cheap rather than great... if I lose it on the trail it's not a big loss. I would also like something that takes fair macro shots for plant closeups.
    A friend has a Nikon COOLPIX S6300 that she always brags about. It fits nicely under the $200 mark. Anyone here have one? Care to comment or recommend something else?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned several generations of Nikon Coolpix's and have always been very impressed with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an S8100. It takes nice enough pictures but I have to say that the autofocus features don't work very well for macro shots. There's no lens ring to speak of so macro lenses are not an option - as far as I can tell. The 6300 appears to be a similar design. Very nice point and shoot camera. Excellent sharpness.

Since I now have my Lumix GF3, I am looking to sell my S8100 for about $100 if interested.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a canon powershot s3 is. It was actually pretty good!

Pretty cheap now, too. Probably because it's so outdated. :P

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Canon-PowerS...igital_Cameras

old sample pics:
    http://www.filiformis.net/uploads/2/...52772_orig.jpg
    http://www.filiformis.net/uploads/2/...51497_orig.jpg
    http://www.filiformis.net/uploads/2/...01549_orig.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned this to Wife and she hinted strongly that I should wait until after my birthday.
    Hmmm... now whatever could she have meant by that?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably more than you want to spend (around $350 MSRP) is the Pentax WG-2 Optio. 16mp with a manual focus option. The macro sounds good from the specs on paper. 6 Built-in LEDs for a macro "ring" light. It's ruggedized and touted as Water/Dust/Cold/Crush/Shock proof (waterproof to 40 feet). Comes with a caribiner on the strap. For $50 more you can add GPS.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking to get a rough and tumble point and shoot for situations I don't want to use my expensive camera. I may just get that Pentax, looks perfect!

Thanks NAN!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year, I was in a similar situation - I wanted a camera to tuck in my back pocket when I was on long bike rides as I often saw stuff on the rides but didn't want to expose expensive stuff to sweat, vibration nor did I want the extra weight. My wife got me a cheap Panasonic Lumix DMC-F2 - which I think she got for under $100. While this model is not around anymore, there are other small, quasi-disposable cameras in the same price range that work very well. Here's one that looks like it fits the bill ... If you search on Amazon for Lumix, you'll find several new for under $100.

While it never feels good to trash a camera, these are light enough to want to bring along, very functional for 95% of everything you want it for & cheap enough so you don't commit suicide when you drop it off a cliff (like you would with a $350 unit).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast