What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait... I thought Wales was a city in England and Scotland was in continental Europe? And I thought that entire big blob on the right was England and only the English were British? :-(

So since they're all technically British, does that mean they all had control of the colonies in the US, India, Australia, ect?

I'm sorry, but I'm the only map disabled person in the world, am I? :-))

Woooooooooo! Canada is the biggest commonwealth nation! Take that Australia!

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait... I thought Wales was a city in England and Scotland was in continental Europe? And I thought that entire big blob on the right was England and only the English were British?

no, no, no, and no. ;)

Wales is a country, not a city.
Scotland has always perched on top of England.
the big blob on the right is England, Wales and Scotland.
The English are British, but so are the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish.
However the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish are not English.

Scot

Woooooooooo! Canada is the biggest commonwealth nation! Take that Australia!

Nearly everyone I know from Australia would probably be happy about that. You'll find there is a huge feeling of republicanism brewing down under.

Yeah, I have never minded the monarchy. And I appreciate that our country was founded on peaceful actions instead of wars.

He he he. I assumed that the didn't teach Canadian history in American schools...

I BLAME THE BRITISH FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!

*Pushes the pseudo-metaphorical crown in front of a lorry*

*Runs away screaming "And the French!!!"*

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Also, what part of history in particular are you referring to? War of 1812? Battle between the French and the British that no one remembers?

Or are you speaking of the general association of the two world wars with the path towards independence of our nation?

Guess where I saw this video...

I am honestly shocked this needs to be explained to people!

peat you remember the french and indian wars,pre american revolution war betwween french and british in canada and new york, and I though russia was the biggest commanwealth country

Ah yes, but those had nothing to do with our becoming an independent nation from Britain. Those were just the British doing their thing.

Our process of becoming a sovereign nation was a relatively peaceful process that began after our major participation and wins in WWI.

i think the uk could not afford to keep you after ww2

We were already sovereign after WW2, I believe we gained it sometime in the thirties.

i thought it was right after the war

Well, going back to my previous post, put it this way: as a nation under the commonwealth, and therefore with a constitutional monarchy, you are paying taxes to the Queen, who is the leader of the Church of England. I can tell you right now that this point alone would justify supporting the Republicanism movement, if I were still living in a commonwealth nation. My cousins and brother in Australia share the same feelings.

Despite what people have to say about the United States, we are unique in that we don't pay anything to any religious organizations as per the constitution (with the exception of their sickly tax-exempt status).

If you mean that Canada as commonwealth country pays taxes to the Queen, then you are mistaken, none of our tax dollars go toward the monarchy. I don't know about other countries i.e. Australia.

If you mean that Canada as commonwealth country pays taxes to the Queen, then you are mistaken, none of our tax dollars go toward the monarchy. I don't know about other countries i.e. Australia.

Just did a quick check and you're right: none of your taxes are going directly to the queen. I don't really understand how that can be 100% true, though.

Gosh the real mystery here is. . .

Who really cares?? :rolleyes:

Jk jk jk

We literally only maintain our ties with Britain for ceremonial reasons.

Back