What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora Wilted

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I ordered a 1' tall Passiflora serratifolia on eBay. It arrived quickly and in new shape. I let it acclimate to window light and then repotted it and let it acclimate some more in the window. The whole time is was great. Then I put it in my greenhouse and it got up in the high 90s with the door closed, but cooled off to around 80F quickly after it went up that high. I took it and set it outside the greenhouse, gave it a good watering and the next day it wasn't as flimsy. Moved it into my greenhouse again after I got my 50% shade cloth installed an after one day of warm temperatures (80F most of the day, upper 90s at the hottest, then 40-50s at night) and it wilted again. It's extremely fussy. What could be the cause of this? Is it temperature? How can I fix it? I know they're hardy from zone 5 and up, and since they're tropical, I made the assumption they could handle tropical temperatures. What am I doing wrong?

Here it was when I got it, leaves erect...
30ses95.jpg

Now you can pick up a little leaf and it will droop right back down. Really droopy/wilted. It's staying very moist and it's getting watered as needed. Planted in 50% miracle grow 50% sand.

the water in the pot may be evaporating too quickly from the very well draining mix and high temps. you didn't damage the stem at any point did you?

maybe be getting to warm . soo yea try keeping the temp lower and it would probably get blight if it gets too cold so if leaves turn black might be too cold but sounds like its more either too strong fertz or too warm and im going to guess it gets just a little too warm for it but ive never grown it so i guess im just commenting to comment good luck hope you find out what the problem is

Last edited:
the water in the pot may be evaporating too quickly from the very well draining mix and high temps. you didn't damage the stem at any point did you?

It stays moist at all times, if not wet. The stem wasn't damaged, it's all good.

maybe be getting to warm i grow can nabis as well and some dont like it when it hits 85. soo yea try keeping the temp lower and it would probably get blight if it gets too cold so if leaves turn black might be too cold but sounds like its more either too strong fertz or too warm and im going to guess it gets just a little too warm for it but ive never grown it so i guess im just commenting to comment good luck hope you find out what the problem is

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait... Is that even legal? :ohno:

Haven't used fertilizer on it... Actually I take that back, I have, but the amount I use is deemed safe for Nepenthes without a flushing afterwards, it's that subtle.

So I guess it is temperatures... Then that means it can be my thermometer to make sure the environment is suitable for my highlanders before I move them out there!

Anyone else got experience with these?

legal for me state wise at least got a green card but i edited that out probably shouldnt say anything dont want to be shunned lol but yea im going to say it is getting a bit too warm especially if it looks green but wilted

High 90s?? I think you've identified the problem. You should be venting before temps get that high, dude.

High 90s?? I think you've identified the problem. You should be venting before temps get that high, dude.

That's with the door closed in full sun on a warm day. It only gets that hot for maybe an hour at the most, then drops back down to where it was. Since I added shade cloth it hasn't even gotten that high, maybe to 90F at the most. I just don't have the controller set up for the swamp cooler yet.

And doesn't it get that hot in the tropics? ???

legal for me state wise at least got a green card but i edited that out probably shouldnt say anything dont want to be shunned lol but yea im going to say it is getting a bit too warm especially if it looks green but wilted

Teehee, not shunning here. I guess it is the heat then, I'll go open the door up for the next few days since it's going to be hot.

If it wilts, then its too hot and/or too arid.

If it wilts, then its too hot and/or too arid.

Probably both then... I'll order the controller for the swamp cooler today and when the passiflora is happy, I'll move out the nepenthes.

Back