What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeastern growers

Foxoftherose

Thread Reaper
There was a thread like this six years ago, so I figured it was time for a new one. I'm looking for carnivorous plant growers in the southeastern US who would like to get together some time in the next year or so. There is supposedly a southeastern carnivorous plant society, but it seems abandoned, so we might be able to kick some life into it. If anyone has suggestions to make, I'd love to hear them.

Fox,
As the movie says, "If you build it, they will come."
I know there are more and more CP hobbyists every year, and in my experience it just takes a few individuals who are willing to do the hard, initial work to get something off the ground. I'm sure that this forum can be a great starting point for attracting people!

Hello from NC!

Hello from western NC :)

I am in Eastern Tennessee.

I would love to meet y'all. If we could find a Cp site, TN aquarium, Atlanta bot gardens etc... we could try to find out who would seriously want to meetup and try to find somewhere not too far for everyone. Middle TN.

I adore Chattanooga, and it seems like a good central location, although it's a bit far for our more southerly members. Atlanta would be good too, but I hate that traffic with a passion.
I don't know the specific location of many CP sites, but I know a bit of other nature related stuff to do in the area. As mentioned before, there's the Tennessee Aquarium and Atlanta Botanical Gardens; here's some more stuff that I've thought of for get togethers and visits:
Tigers for Tomorrow- Attalla, AL
Georgia Aquarium- Atlanta, GA
Chattahoochee Nature Reserve- Roswell, GA
Chattahoochee National Forest- Fannin, GA
Birmingham Botanical Gardens- Birmingham, AL
Please add to this list if you can, and tell me which of these places sound most interesting.
I'm in Huntsville, AL, by the way.
Here's my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000321325158

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of vft territory. If you guys are interested and want to make a trip to nc I can show you around 20 species of cp's. I'd love to join a se cps.

Florida here. Would be fun to do a field trip and see CPs in the wild here.

Every six years whether we need it or not :). I'd love to help rebirth a new SE US CP Society (why should the West Coast and the North East get all of the fun?). As one who tried (and failed) to keep a National Capital (DC, VA, MD) group going, it's a challenge for sure. Big enough to have enough members to sustain it, and meetings can be awfully far away. Small enough so that people can actually get together more than once a year (or less frequently), and it's hard to build a critical mass of membership.

I'm wondering if a large SE group with smaller regional chapters might be the solution? Large enough to have a decent infrastructure, but more local chapters to give people a real opportunity to meet in person, etc.

Agree that Atlanta Botanical Garden has a great CP collection and might be a good home base. Ditto Chattahoochie Nature Reserve. Crosby Arboretum in SE Mississippi has done a great job preserving S. alata stands, and UNCC in Charlotte is known for its CP as well. There's also Meadowview in Virginia ...

If one was to envision a SE CP Society stretching from Dallas to DC, how would you divide it up?

I would love to join a SE CP Society! I'm here in Raleigh, NC. I'm actually trying to plan a trip in a few weeks to go down to visit a bunch of CP sites. I'm going to pm everyone that has posted in this thread to see if anyone wants to join in on the adventure.

Back