Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: $158 venusflytrap on ebay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to that dex. Exactly what I had in mind.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see what the debate is for, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I think that paying that much for VFT is just as legitimate as paying that much for any other CP, because its money spent on something they like.

Its really no different from paying from good money for an orchid, or nepenthes.This is just proven by the people saying that they wouldn't pay 200 for an N. edwardsiana, and then someone else saying no to a 150 VFT, no real difference there besides the amount.

There is no naturally occuring price tag for any plant, they are only worth what we are willing to pay for it, everyone has different tastes and wallet range :P.

So I say it is kind of irrelevant to be comparing these things.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think there's room in this hobby to judge monetary value, since it's all so subjective. You all know that some of the most beautiful neps/dews/helis are also the cheapest, and since even the most modest collector can obtain them, people don't think they're "worth" that much, and therefore not as desirable. When I look at expensive orchids, I have no idea why anyone would pay so much for them, since there are others just as nice for $10 in the grocery store. Why is this? Because I don't obsess over orchids and don't really know what I'm looking at. If someone spends their time researching and admiring flytraps, well, they probably see something very striking or beautiful that the rest of us just see as subtle, if not unimpressive, differences.

Subjective is the key word here..

Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    ]That's why 100 dollars for a flytrap to most people is insane. Even if I thought wacky traps should exist, I would never pay more than 20 bucks for it because there are growers dividing rhizomes right now as I type this.
    And even though there are places that sell them for $20, I would still pay up to $75 for one if I saw it. See how that works?

Rare Nepenthes and Heliamphora? It just takes a long time to make more of those. Which is why I would pay over 100 dollars for one. They're not easy to recreate which is why not everyone has one.
    See, you're basing their value off the difficulty and time it takes to cultivate them. I don't. I base their value based on how much I want it, how beautiful it is to me etc. If I like it enough, it's worth more. It's how bidding works. Some people have a cap, because they don't feel it's worth that much to them, while other people have no cap at all, because it's worth THAT much to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A certain person that is well known is selling flowering size bigmouth x B52 for $19.00 witch will be easly as big as this plant. That's why I think that 150 for this plant is a little much. But as others have said it is in the eye of the beholder and I do agree with that.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about collecting if you are a collector. A plant that is nice looking and rare will always sell for higher. Nice looking vft. I want one.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of it is in the eye of the beholder, but IMO that doesn't justify certain prices...

I truly am just basing it off of how fast you can divide and spread the plant. The more common something is, the cheaper it will be. High demand, low supply = large prices, high supply, low demand = low prices. It's just economics.

There are plenty of really cool Nepenthes that I would love to have such as jamban or jacquelineae (again), but until I can find them in the 20 dollar range, I wont even consider buying them. Because I KNOW that they are fast growing plants and can be cut up or vined relatively quickly. Same thing with D. regia, it's an amazing plant, and it goes for large sums of money. However, I never actually bought one because I KNOW that people are good at propagating it easily, so why would I pay that much for something that somebody could just take a root cutting of in no time?

The rarer and harder the plant is to grow the higher the price will (and should) be, IMO. If the price isn't low? Don't worry I'll just wait it out another couple years when people are selling melody sharks and wacky traps for barely more than a regular VFT. Cup-traps comes to mind...

Now seed-grown edwardsiana... I suppose if I thought people would be breeding these like crazy, I wouldn't care to spend more than 50 bucks. But that just doesn't seem realistic.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast