Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do dews just hate me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JennB

Sounds like being outside without acclimatising them may be your problem, particularly if they were indoors in zone 8 and are now outdoors in zone 8. The roots and foliage arent used to the effect of he wind removing moisture from the leaves and cannot keep pace with its removal, so they dry out, until such time as the roots/foliage/wind absorption rate come into balance. It copul be the sun also.. if you are lucky enough to have had some.

Cheers
    steve

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These plants were grown from seed outside in a bog in full sun with temps reaching high 90s at times in summer to freezing temps in winter, flooded at times to barely moist conditions at times, basically neglected all their lives as they grow like weeds out there, and are 1 to 2 years old, never been inside and perfectly acclimated to outside conditions in my area. I also have some in small 3" pots on my deck in these same conditions that come back every year. I just cannot kill them outside. The only time I have killed a filiformis is when I have tried to grow them indoors.

Having said all that, what mine do not experience is hot dry winds and that may very well be what we are seeing judging by the picture. I do not think water is a factor at all. You received them while still in a dormant state, so acclimation is not the problem. The crowns look fine and I do see new growth at the bases, so all is not lost. The Florida Giant is a very resilient form of filiformis in my experience.

I agree that zone 8 here could be different than zone 8 in Texas, you do get dry winds and perhaps the sun is more intense where you are, but you do have them in a large enough pot in my opinion as far as soil overheating. With the shallow root system, you could try putting moss, pea gravel, or silica sand as a top dressing and protect them from dry winds and see how the new growth fares.

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the ping (and my utric) they're indoors as I figured our outdoor conditions would be too harsh for them. Now that they look like they're starting to grow a tiny bit I may try putting a small light on them to see if that gets em growing a little better.

I didn't want to drop DJ's name without asking but that's where the plants came from and they were just PERFECT when they got here! Lots of wind and maybe a little bit more intense sunlight, yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. I rigged up a shield around half of it so that it can get sun but not so much wind (sticks and foil, gotta love it ). I'll keep watching it closely!

The others you sent me are doing wonderfully so far!! Dana's Delight is quickly growing several pitchers and the vft is busy growing all kinds of new traps. The Yellow Trumpet is growing more slowly but steadily and the Scarlet Belle seems determined to put out a flower. I snipped one off when it arrived and already had to snip another one! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12