Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do dews just hate me?

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do dews just hate me?

This 'Florida Giant' came to me healthy and I was thrilled that it quickly put on dew and was catching bugs. Now it's lost it's dew and the ends are starting to "crisp" just like my capensis! It's in 50/50 peat/sand sitting in distilled water, top watered a smidge daily, full sun. The sarracenias and vft I got from the same person at the same time are growing nicely in the same soil mixture and water so I think those are good. Maybe something to do with light and/or humidity?

The cp that got me looking into and wanting to grow these guys, 'Dana's Delight', has pitchers forming!

And non-cp but just too cute, I caught a pic of this handsome lil guy sitting in the house I put in my herb garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe to strong sun

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plants were grown indoors / under lights they will have needed to be acclimated to full sunlight. I always give such warnings when sending plants. If the D. filiformis wasn't dormant most likely they were grown indoors.

They will probably recover but put back somewhat. Don't expect flowers this year.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell you what. I'm not an experienced grower by any means. But, I've been able to grow Sarracenia from seed with very high germination rate and very low mortality. I've had 100% success on rooting Nepenthes cuttings. I managed not to kill a H. heterodoxa x minor division when I put it in 75-85 degree temps with a miniscule temperature drop and inconsistent watering; in fact, the division set down roots and began growing vigorously (though, admittedly, sans nectar spoons). Pinguicula and Dionaea divide faster for me than any other plant, and seem to thrive in my conditions.

But Drosera... OMG, I've killed more D. capensis and D. spatulata than any other plant. I can't seem to keep them alive for more than six months; I rely on cuttings & seeds to keep their numbers up in my collection. I'm right there with you. Dews just hate me.

That being said, my limited experience does tell me that going from artificial light into full sun too quickly is pretty offensive for dews. I killed my very first CP (D. spatulata) by taking it out of the cheap plastic fish bowl terrarium I had and putting it in a bright window. Looked like I had run it through the microwave!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jenn, I've been struggling with sundews these past 2 years as well. It happens to all of us. Sarracenias and VFT's are more forgiving. Mexican butterworts, if you try them, are also very forgiving.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperate Drosera will croak if the pots bake in the sun. South African and pygmy dews don't seem to mind at all. On the window sill I will shade the pots with a piece of paper or cardboard, especially on my western facing window. The afternoon sun can be quite brutal.

Where do you get your white pots?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The filiformis was grown outdoors in the same zone as I'm in but zone 8 up north and zone 8 in Texas doesn't necessarily mean exactly the same. I'm wondering if we aren't too windy and dry here but when I tried uppin the humidity on the capensis it seemed to go downhill faster. I'll see if I can't rig some partial shade or give it less time in the sun to see if that doesn't help some.

jimscott, I have a P. gracilis x moctezumae which I darn near killed but I do believe the teeny tiny little rosette that was left is starting to grow for me so I'm keepin my fingers crossed!

NaN, being in a small, rural town we only have one nursery and they're good folks. They gave me the white pots. I'll see if I can find out where they got them or if I can get them to order me some or something.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your ping is outside, i would suggest that it be under something. When i put my plants outside for the growing season, I have the Sarracenias, VFT's and sundews fully exposed to the sun, after having them being put out during a spell of cloudy, rainy days. My pings go under the afore-mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast