What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True? False? Opinion?

LOL, creationist biology is certainly easier on the brain!

But, back to the topic at hand, yes - most any plant (not just CPs) can suffer from root burn if they're over fertilized. CPs evolved traps to compensate for nutrient deficient soil. So yes, on the scale of millions of years, a plant grown in nutrient-rich soil will tend not to have carnivorous traps! On the scale of weeks or months, a CP grown in nutrient-rich soil will tend to be dead.

Edit: my ignorance is exposed before I even hit the "post" button! :-)) NaN, interesting counterexample re: Neps.

lol, sorry didnt mean for this to turn into a debate

Thumbs up for good debate!

*Takes creationist biology test*

*Puts "God" as every answer"

*Gets 100%*

Email your teacher the link to this... lol

@Pineapple. No haha

Thumbs up for good debate!

*Takes creationist biology test*

*Puts "God" as every answer"

*Gets 100%*

*Take high school biology test*

*Puts "Enzymes do it" in every answer*

*Get full marks* hahaha, that's how I felt sometimes. I was always frustrated with biology at that level. It seemed to be the answer to everything! Much happier knowing the molecular processes behind the phenomenon we see *face full of content*

Can we have the ISBN of that book please? Im very curious.

Lol @ enzymes, they do everything!

128613.jpg

(Worst meme ever...)

I read this book, like, when I was twelve so I don't remember much. But I recall a stimulating read!

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Nights-Intelligent-OxyContin®-Pennsylvania/dp/0061179450

Nope it's straight from a Creationist written biology book.

Creationists are writing biology books and getting them into the school system???!!! God help us (irony implied)

Yikes... YOU NEED A NEW BIOLOGY TEACHER! Venus fly traps have adapted to their nutrient free soil for millions of years so any VFT would have to have its minerals increased VERY slowly along with its future generations for the next several million years. Eventually the future generations would build a tolerance toward the minuscule amount of PPM their parents experienced and so on... a few more million years and you could have a salt water VFT.. well, it would be more like a oval leafed plant then. Dude, honestly you have to confront your biology teacher with these facts and prove him that he's wrong... its normal science that all teachers should know!

Haha! I knew this is what this thread would look like... :oops:

Haha! I knew this is what this thread would look like... :oops:

Oh... its just fun really. Were just trying to make sure that people actually know how to grow these amazing plants so they aren't lost into oblivion ;).

Well, they'll produce non-carnivorous leaves for a brief period of time, and then they die. The non-carnivorous leaves are a severe stress response. Sarracenia, Nepenthes, Drosera, etc. will do the same, and all of them usually die as an end result.

I agree with the other guys, time to get a new teacher. That's just as bad as my brother's 3rd grade teacher teaching her class that birds were cold blooded because they migrate. Stupid.

I don't even remember studying carnivorous plants in any subject at any point during my school career... ???

Cold blooded birds... Lol!

Sorry ment to say i go to a co-op school not public school! lol

Having 4 teen boys in two different public schools I believe that each school has it's own strengths and weaknesses but overall they're all going down the toilet. As usual teachers are overworked, underpaid, underappreciated, and too often undereducated themselves. If you have the means to homeschool your kids I heartily recommend you do!! I wish I could've.

If you don't feel comfortable bringing this thread to the attention of your teacher maybe you could get your parents to do so? It's painful to see her passing on ignorance like this!

JennB,
While I agree that the teacher DEFINITELY shouldn't be passing on misinformation, you do have to consider the fact that the school in question apparently teaches creationism. Supplying facts doesn't seem to be a top priority in general.

JennB,
While I agree that the teacher DEFINITELY shouldn't be passing on misinformation, you do have to consider the fact that the school in question apparently teaches creationism. Supplying facts doesn't seem to be a top priority in general.

haha thread CLOSED!

(just kidding, guys)

Last edited:
Back