What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOG's Photo Thread

Why wouldn't it? The sphagnum seems fine to me :)

Last edited:
The sand seems too fine. You can get better sand in Pool supply places. For moss you'd be better off using Chilean or New Zealand moss. It is cleaner and strands are larger.
Just my humble opinion.

Ive purchased that sand before.. Its made of something like decomposed granite and failed the vinegar "fizz test". You need an inert sand made of silica or quartz.. which can be very hard to find. As Gill said, you can look for pool sand. Or as another member here just found, Home Depot and Lowes sometimes carries Quickrete Commercial silica sand in 3 different grades. You just need to look for something that says its made of silica and nothing else.

I use Mosser Lee's crap-quality LFS. Just wash it and pick out the sticks and clumps, which there's aren't too much off. Then you're good to go! :)

I got a 100# bag of silica "blasting sand" from my local farm supply store...around $6.00. 3 grades to choose from.

took me a bit to get my butt in here but now im planted :) your nepenthes pics are awesome!!!!

subbing before I forget to and never return :jester:

Took me five months to track one day even though its a pretty common carnivorous plant :) Here it is. And no, Piney, I will not tell you how old the penny is.
034.jpg

Nice!!! but you do realize that you can see the date on the penny right? lol

Took me five months to track one day even though its a pretty common carnivorous plant :) Here it is. And no, Piney, I will not tell you how old the penny is.
034.jpg

Oh my gosh it's 11 years old!! :hail:

NOOOOOO!!!! Im so stupid :headwall:

Thanks Myles! :)

Cute hummer. That plant is a trumpet vine, also called hummingbird vine. They get huge. I have one that has taken over one side of my shed. The hummingbirds flock to the flowers.

Back