What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold plated Darlingtonia?

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
$100 3" Darlingtonia?

Today I was checking out a new-to-me nursery in Redwood City. At the checkout counter is a little 3" Darlingtonia, not particularly fancy looking, with a sign: "RARE California Cobra Plant". Under that: "$91".

I understand that it is the right of the owner to ask what price he/she wants, but, well, I guess it upsets me that someone would overprice a little $20 plant by that much. Eventually either the plant will wither and die, or some poor innocent will pay $70 more than he/she has to for something notoriuosly difficult. And they'll never have a clue.

I hope like heck it wasnt wild collected. It has the mountain form look to it, small, red, and woody, with really clear fenestrations. Still no hunnerd dollar plant, my gosh!

Last edited:
*facepalm* This always annoys me.

I was expecting a flawless casting of a Darlingtonia leaf. This is much more disappointing.

It seems adding "RARE" to a carnivorous plant ups the price tenfold. I laugh at all the *RARE* stuff on eBay and the prices they go for. Seems very disingenuous of the sellers to list most of these as such. I guess truth in advertising laws doesn't apply to eBay.

heh... just wait till a fool buys that and comes on here to show us...

*ULTRA RARE!!!* ~NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN NORTH AMERICAN COLLECTIONS!!!~ *One* (1) small plantlet of **Drosera capensis VAR. Propagatus**
***ONLY $299 ONE TIME ONLY!!!!***
~~~-DON'T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY!!!-~~~-TO OWN THE RARE PLANT OF YOUR LIFETIME!!!-~~~

i was expecting a darlingtonia pitcher dipped in 24K gold too.... :lol:

Yeah, I kinda did too.

#dissapointed

*ULTRA RARE!!!* ~NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN NORTH AMERICAN COLLECTIONS!!!~ *One* (1) small plantlet of **Drosera capensis VAR. Propagatus**
***ONLY $299 ONE TIME ONLY!!!!***
~~~-DON'T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY!!!-~~~-TO OWN THE RARE PLANT OF YOUR LIFETIME!!!-~~~

No advertising on TF... You have been banned for 3 days. Please PM me with any questions.
Thanks,
Andrew

:p

Darlingtonia rumpelstiltskinensis
Darlingtonia midasis

i was expecting a darlingtonia pitcher dipped in 24K gold too.... :lol:

I'll make it happen if I can find a solid block of 24K gold, a crucible, proper casting supplies, and a big pitcher.

You guys are funny!

Is that better? :p

You know, Wireman, if you make it brass, it would look nearly as neat, for 1/100th the cost. Hmmm, you know those electroplated leaves? I wonder if it's in any way DIY.

High price encourages poaching

High price encourages poaching

That's the thing, if youreally want one, they're really not all that expensive. If you really want one, you'll find out where to go to buy a nice, healthy one. They even show up in death cubes on occasion for like (sic) five bucks.

If some idiot sees that high priced example and thinks "naw, I'll just go out and dig one up", he's got another think coming. It takes a bit of homework to find the wild stands in the mountains, and the Darlington trail in Oregon is really busy, and well protected. If the poacher wannabe is so dumb not to catch on how readily available these plants are from TC, he's not gonna find the plants (or gonna get caught and earn some jailtime).

Nah, I think the first thought really would be "Gosh, that much? Wonder what I'll see on eBay?".

I was hoping you were gonna say they spray painted the leaves with gold paint, that would be pretty cool actually. I think I'll do that to my Sarrs once the leaves are dead.

Back