Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so picturesque ,and quality pics

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    No CPs? Just kidding, it looks like an incredible place, judging from the view in your first picture. The soil looks pretty dry, though. It almost looks like there is a fjord in the first picture.
    I'm always looking for them! The Columbia River is very fjord-like here but it's all fresh water.

Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    That's great, Mark. You saw Scott there the same day? That's a pretty wild coincidence!
    We were both pretty surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    so picturesque ,and quality pics
    Thanks, corky.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was great seeing you up there Mark! Such a surprise. Wasn't the weather perfect?

So great of you to include the names of those flowers. We were wondering what they were. Any chance you could id these two for us?

(the 8 on this one is the most we saw on any stalk. started appearing as single, then double. eventually this)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one is Calypso bulbosa the "Fairy Slipper", a native orchid. The second one looks like a Fritillaria of some kind. Great shots and awesome finds guys !

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawn View Post
    It was great seeing you up there Mark! Such a surprise. Wasn't the weather perfect?

So great of you to include the names of those flowers. We were wondering what they were. Any chance you could id these two for us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    The first one is Calypso bulbosa the "Fairy Slipper", a native orchid. The second one looks like a Fritillaria of some kind. Great shots and awesome finds guys !
    @Jawn - it was fun seeing you there. The weather was awesome. 'Cool of you to photograph and include the flower shots. I think that is as many of the Calypso orchids as I have ever seen at one time.
    @Cthulhu138 - I completely agree. The second is commonly known as the chocolate lily, Fritillaria lanceolata. There were also Fritillaria camchatcensis, the black lily but they didn't have open flowers yet.
    Last edited by bluemax; 02-14-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that was quick! Thanks guys! We saw a cluster of 8 or 9 of the fairly slipper orchid at about 1000' on the augsperger trail - the most we had seen in one place over the entire hike - but the pictures came out kind of blurry.

Mark, are you heading back up there for the peak bloom?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawn View Post

Mark, are you heading back up there for the peak bloom?
    Hmmm. That's a thought...
    - Mark

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S. Oregon coast and the Darlingtonia Wayside

I have often wanted to see the Northern California and southern Oregon coasts so when I got the chance to return home that way recently I went for it. In addition to just enjoying the beauty of this section of US Highway 101 I also hoped to stop at and photograph the amazing Darlingtonia Wayside near Florence, Oregon.

I arrived at the Wayside a short time before dark so I was reduced to taking wide-angle and flash shots. I apologize for the lack of close-ups. I would like to return in maybe August when the new pitchers are mature and early enough in the day to have more direct light. In this season the new pitchers are mostly still forming though there were many flowers.

I am by no means the first to post photos of this site on Terra Forums. If you wish to see more you might try doing a search for "Florence".
    - Mark

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast