What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail riding, camping and cool fossil

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Saw a cool 12"+ long fish fossil while trail riding over the holidays (3-5k altitude)

Photo_0064.jpg

Scales and dorsal fin were very easy to see...

Also found a small pocket sized plant fossil while waiting on another rider to reinstall their chain, will take a pic and add it later.

Photo_0069.jpg

Photo_0070.jpg

Photo_0072.jpg

4 days of fun in the woods

looks beautiful out there, glad you had a good time n even left with a pocket sized souvenir

Did ya catch the fish before it burrowed back into the rock? ;)

hehehehee, nah..... but one bear did "ask" me to move along at one point

trying to remember where this place is located... hoping it was just a blackbear?

Haven't been four-wheeling in years. Miss those dangerous days in the Texas heat. Very cool fossil, too.

yeah, no big-uns to worry about....

It was a blast Mato, it was good to hit the woods and get away for a bit.... good meds for the soul

how are your heli beauties? bet they hardly missed you at all with your system taking care of itself :)

Butch, looks like you had a great time! I like that last photo, you look like you'd do a drive by missions in the mountains :p. Sharp contrast with that Jack the ripper pic hehe.

how are your heli beauties? bet they hardly missed you at all with your system taking care of itself :)

Havent done a close inspection, but everyone looks well..... been cleaning my gear and stowing it away

Butch, looks like you had a great time! I like that last photo, you look like you'd do a drive by missions in the mountains :p. Sharp contrast with that Jack the ripper pic hehe.

OMG the dust was a killer if you werent in front, damp bandana was required equipment LOL

I was expecting more pics, Butch... I need me some more forest. Looks like it was a blast!

I was afraid to take any cameras other than my cell phone camera..... it was so dusty on top of the ridges, so muddy in the hollers, and rough trail riding the entire trip. My right leg has burns and bruises from the exhaust.... very rocky and difficult riding for a greenhorn like me.

It would have been nice though. I saw lots of nice flora, rock formations, waterfalls and abandoned deep coal mines.
There was one deep mine entrance within 30 yards of my tent at camp....., but the support timbers looked old and meh...... not very safe.

I was hoping to see some elk, but never did.

Awesome adventure :)

Last edited:
So ... where did this adventure take place?

It would have been nice though. I saw lots of nice fauna.... and many rock formations, waterfalls and lots of abandoned deep coal mines.
There was one deep mine entrance within 30 yards of my tent....., but the support timbers looked old and meh...... not very safe.
Where are the rest of the cell phone pics - we can handle the lower quality :-O (wink-wink: as he snickers under his breathe hoping Av won't see the obvious baiting) :lol:

I was hoping to see some elk, but never did.
I just imagine that a caravan of crazed, whooping maniacs ripping through mountain trails on less-than-silent, exhaust-belching steeds would be the ideal approach for timid, people-shy elk. Go figure. :scratch:

omg ron, rolls eyes.... you nut :)
Ive got maybe two more pics, but just of tree covered mountains.... nothing special as far as pics go

I wasnt expecting to get close to an Elk, but even a sighting would have been cool.

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/index.php

Four days? Must've been a big lawn to cut.

Four days? Must've been a big lawn to cut.

hehehehe, I charged by the hour...

The fern(?) fossil
myfossil.JPG

Found it while taking a short maintenance break on one of the peaks.... just happen to look down and see it.
Very cool...

Any opinions on the ID?

It looks like a US 25 cent coin.

hehehehe omg

tsk tsk tsk, now Bob you couldnt resist ey

U nut :)

Lol Bob! That looks kind of like a fern or maybe a tree leaf.

Back