Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Venusian Eclipse 2012! RARE!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can watch the feeds for free. Paid membership allows you control remotely some of the telescopes, image capture and processing and a bunch of other stuff.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Its not an eclipse..its a transit.
    "transit of Venus"..
    transit and eclipse are not the same thing.
    an eclipse is the complete obscuring of one celestial body by another..
    the moon can eclipse the sun, but Venus can not. (not from our perspective anyway!

Scot
    Twas just about to say!

I'll probably look at it through a camera, with protection in the front of course!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, might take a couple shots, just to try.

Stopped up lens, focused to infinity, superhigh shutter speed... One shot takes about a quarter of a second, raise camera, shoot, lower... When I take photos like this, I can see stars during the day... Crazyness...

Should be interesting.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Meh, might take a couple shots, just to try.

Stopped up lens, focused to infinity, superhigh shutter speed... One shot takes about a quarter of a second, raise camera, shoot, lower... When I take photos like this, I can see stars during the day... Crazyness...

Should be interesting.
    You wont see stars during the day with this one..because its not an eclipse!
    the sun will look perfectly normal for the whole thing..no dimming whatsoever will take place,
    because it's not an eclipse..

and you will want shutter speeds WAY faster than 1/4 second..that will totally blow-out the exposure.
    over-exposed by a huge factor..
    I would start with 1/1000 of a second..probably faster..
    whatever you would use to take a properly exposed photo of the sun any other time..
    its not an eclipse!

Scot

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not point your camera at the sun without a solar filter over the lens and optical viewfinder if it is a point and shoot. If you've ever burned stuff by focusing the sun through a magnifying glass you can image what will happen to the shutter and image sensor in your camera.

Do not look directly at the sun without a special viewing filter either. #14 Welders glass is safe to use.

If you are using a telescope with a proper filter be sure your spotting scope is capped or filtered too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well aware good sirs, I have given up on my photographic attempts, to difficult...

I had my framrate at 1/4000th, and f/25 and the exposure was still terrible... Oh well...

Derp

Anyone have some tips on how to use a piece of board with a hole in it to see the thing?

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Well aware good sirs, I have given up on my photographic attempts, to difficult...

I had my framrate at 1/4000th, and f/25 and the exposure was still terrible... Oh well...

Derp

Anyone have some tips on how to use a piece of board with a hole in it to see the thing?
    It's way too small to see that way.. just tried and didn't see anything

PICTURES!!! Th transit is coming along nicely and I was able to capture the famous "teardrop" where venus looks like a teardrop with the sun... heck yeah!!!

A little small, but see the lil teardrop in the top? Sure better then nothing if next time when it happens I'll be dead.

Photobucket

A little more progression...

Photobucket

All down with an eclipse viewer in front of a 300mm lens! More coming very soon!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos Lance!

All I got photo wise, kinda a scrub, no pics of the transit itself, but some of the sun...

Note the stars around the sun...

Fun stuff, really liking the online views.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast