Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The dumbest thing I have ever done..... To a CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB in Utah View Post
    You could say that is no longer one of your potted_plants I couldn't resist, it was the perfect setup, I'm a goof like that
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ---- Albert Einstein
    Food is a important part of a balanced diet.
    My small grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess my biggest one to date was explaining to my parents how some CPs enjoy bright light. They interpreted it as, it would help to put a covered seedling tray outdoors in midday sun. 30 minutes later, I had some freshly-steamed carnivores...
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first plant was a small seed-grown mikei. Since I was impatient and it was growing fast (this was in January) I felt the need to "fertilize" it a tad. So I put a few tiny pellets of tree stump remover of all things (thinking that the KNO3 would give enough nitrogen etc) into all 3 pitchers. Once it had lost all its leaves except for the growth point, I managed to break the tip off accidentally.

I still miss that plant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first terrarium I set up (this is before the internet), I ordered some carnivorous plants from a science school catalog. Like most, I made the assumption that CPs must come from steamy jungles growing in rich, humus-y wet loam. I didn't know the names at the time, but I remember getting an S. purpurea, D. californica and a venus fly trap. I put them all in my 10 gallon tank where temperatures quickly rose to above 90 degrees and as much humidity and within a week the plants were dead.

Another infuriating mistake I've made is while trimming pitchers. I will sometime follow the wrong tendril to the leaf and end up cutting a good pitcher or one that was in process of developing. Once, I cut three growing pitchers on the same plant. I felt like a total jackass.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing yet... Everything has went smoothly with my neps and the greenhouse. Here's some things that weren't stupid, but they were issues...

1. I didn't have the swamp cooler connected to the outside air, so it was recirculating hot air. It kept the greenhouse at 95F on some days.
    2. My N. densiflora x spectabilis had a bunch of little white cysts on it, which could have been from mealybugs but I'm still not sure, so I pulled off 75% of the leaves it had to wipe it and the stem down with alcohol since the cyst-looking things were in the crevice where the node is. I left three of the biggest leaves on, and two turned yellow and wilted. The last one is partially yellow and partially wilted. Haven't cut it off yet. The growth point is still good to go and it looks fine. No more white cysts for like a month so far I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I just realized the timer for my plant lights at work was stuck on 'on'. I have no idea how long that was going on but I'm guessing at least a few weeks of 24/7 ~28* C degrees and light. It would perfectly explain why my neps' leaves had started to shrink and why the petiolaris dews were looking particularly pleased. I hope the Neps don't die...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the dumbest thing I've done, which was a few months ago was creating this beautiful floating island in my pond filled with Sarracenia's, VFT, & Drosera's and find out two days later Crows found a new bird bath to hang out and destroyed all of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ worst by far sucks Favian.....

this is interesting LOL.. keep em coming

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast