Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The dumbest thing I have ever done..... To a CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry The dumbest thing I have ever done..... To a CP

Thought this would make an interesting topic to start. We are all mortal here and have made our fair share of mistakes when it comes to our dearly beloved carnivorous plants. This idea came to mind a few nights ago in the chat box.

Without further ado, my dumbest thing I have ever done to a CP.

When I was 16, I bought the typical death cube VFT at the local Lowes Home Improvement store in the month of July. Upon getting home, I learned that VFT's really need bright direct light. So I put my brand new VFT outside on my roof top to get the bright sunlight it needed. Mistake? Yup. Never stopped to think that the death cube was to be turned into a solar death ray, steaming my beloved VFT in less than an hour. The VFT was completely limp and dead when I checked on it. The good thing about this, it spurred me to really research CP's and get me to where I am now.

Let's hear your sad tale of lessons learned.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhh, once I flew a mini RC helicopter into a flytrap, julienned it...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once dropped a large sarr off of my balcony... the pot shattered and the sarr is no longer with me.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put about 6 of my plants into a mini greenhouse a few years ago, thinking it would keep humidity up and give the plants better light. One problem: I live in Colorado, the temperatures outside were 80 degrees as it was, and the greenhouse was on my deck in full sun. Every single plant got steamed through the pot and not a one made it. Now the replacements live outside, but in a pool and without covering.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol good thread XD

I don't have any real good ones as I watched friends kill CPs before i decided to have at it but i did snap quite a few pitchers off over the years. never feels any less crappy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just today I crushed a pitcher on my paisan truncata...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea for a thread, I've done a few things...

Many times, I have crushed my H. heterodoxa pitcher that have been forming or just formed. I did this either by bringing the pot too close to the top of the terra when taking it out, hitting them with my camera, my hand, and knocking the pot over onto another pot.

And in 2012, I made a reaaaallly bad terrarium with a thin piece of plexiglass on top, and my cat stepped on it, which made it cave in, destroying my heli's inside.

I have knocked over several plants.

And recently, I re-potted all of my Drosera into a mix I realize they don't like as much, and it took my several hours to get the soil prepared and re-pot the plants. Waste of timeeeee!

Last thing: When I first tried growing a ceph, I had it sitting in 3 inches of water. :P

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One day I bought and N. ventricosa from Home Depot and never stopped . . .
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast