What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Bradbury Dies . . .

• Thread starter BigBella
  • Start date
I guess that it was inevitable; but it is still quite sad. Ray Bradbury, the author of more fantastic stories than most anyone else in the twentieth century, is dead at ninety-one. I managed to see him a few time over the years at lecture tours and book-signings; and the last was in Santa Monica two or three years ago, while working in Long Beach. The guy delivered an hour-long, largely extemporaneous speech without a hitch -- or a teleprompter.

I'll always remember the advice he gave an audience when I was a kid; it was an epigraph, a quote he used from Juan Ramón Jiménez for Fahrenheit 451, "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way . . ."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/story/2012-06-06/ray-bradbury-dies/55417888/1

Also, it was a strangely fitting end for the author -- given the historic transit of venus . . .

Last edited:
he certainly had my attention as a younger man.
he will be missed.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."

I've been in a bad habit of it lately.

sad day in sf land

Aw crap, I think he lived near me. He was a Friend of my local library which has many signed copies of his books. I missed the book-signing he had there last year :(

I am adding Farenheit 451 to my summer reading list...

Need to read more...

RIP... I read Farenheit 451 just recently... quite a different book then the other books I've read..

i thought that guy already died years ago.. musta been someone else i guess

Back