Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adventures in High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography

I'm just starting to give this a try, got my first one yesterday evening.

Our horse in front of the smoke of a nearby fire (High Park fire) close to sunset. Far from perfect, but I am quite happy with it.

Anyone else dabbled with the technique at all? If so, please share! Like focus stacking, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grr, don't have available software right now, or ever... Need to download some.

Incredible photo!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say I have, but I'd love to know more about it! :9~
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do!!!!

HDR S. alata by Wire Man, on Flickr

HDR S. Snowflake by Wire Man, on Flickr

HDR S. (rosea x alata) x rosea by Wire Man, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Peatmoss.

@Brokken: From wikipedia: "High dynamic range imaging (HDRI or HDR) is a set of methods used in imaging and photography, to allow a greater dynamic range between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than current standard digital imaging methods or photographic methods. This wide dynamic range allows HDR images to represent more accurately the range of intensity levels found in real scenes, ranging from direct sunlight to faint starlight, and is often captured by way of a plurality of differently exposed pictures of the same subject matter."

Basically, if you're familiar at all with focus stacking, it's a similar procedure, except with exposure instead of focus. Generally, you take three pictures (though more or less can be used, sometimes even 1 image if it's a RAW), all at different exposures so that you capture very bright stuff (in my example, the sky and clouds/smoke), mid stuff (the grass, fence, that stuff), and the dark stuff (the horse) all at perfect exposures, then use software to combine them in one image, using only the properly-exposed pieces of each image. The ultimate result is one image where everything is (hopefully) perfectly exposed.

@Wire Man: Some great shots. What software are you using? That first one has some pretty severe ghosting, though it looks like you might've used a deghosting tool on the one or two pitchers you put focus on. That one must've been tough to work with with so much movement in the pitchers. Thanks for sharing!

Anyone else got some to share?! ^.^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of like the ghosting on that one. Wind is not your friend with HDR. I made sure those two pitchers were in the same spot for every photo, could have cared less about the others. I use CS3 and 5 exposures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your camera offer 5 auto-bracketed shots, or do you get 5 shots manually?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing Kyle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast