What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sympathy for the broken ??

• Thread starter uphwiz
  • Start date

uphwiz

jimmy
i need a little support here , i am an animal lover to the bone, and am unafraid to admit it.
so here it is , you go out to do a little watering in the cooler morning air just an average morning , till you come across a chipmunk seems odd he isnt running, even odder his hind quarters look a little too spread out and relaxed for this sleek extremely quick animal, then as you get closer you see him panic and try and run, but all that is working is the front two legs, and he is only able to slightly pull himself along, and it becomes apparent he is broken badly about midway down his back. And as he pulls ahead right or left his back end seems glued to the ground.

Now me I have to sit down at the thought of stopping his pain, i know some of you would have no trouble here, but it tears at who i am deep inside.

There is no one but you , you cant ask someone else.

do you leave, and let him crawl away and die, SLOWLY STARVE ,try and scoop him up and take him to the vet, where they will probably just put him down. or finish him , and how do you do you do it > no guns it has to be at your hand.

quick he is suffering !
quick he is SUFFERING !!

this just breaks my heart,:-(

OMG that's horrible :( If he's in pain he's got to be put down imho. If you want to put a cart and wheels on him and keep him as a housepet that'd work if he isn't in pain. Otherwise? He's a wild animal and as such, eventually the wild will take care of him and he'll likely become someone's lunch if you do nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to kill a mammal so I'd just leave him and feel horrible for *months*. Unless there is a local wildlife rescue shelter - I went to one once and got to hold a one-eyed owl. There's always 'for lifers' there.

Been there, only it was a cat that did the damage and, just like you, tore me up. What I did was take the poor little thing to the vet and have it humanely put out of its misery, which they did at no charge.

i had to put a road kill deer to sleep last month , got the cops to shoot it , its out of hunting season and don't want to risk a big fine
you could hit a chipmunk with a shovel
and it would kill it instantly
wear gloves if you touch it it will have fleas and lice and could carry rabies and illnesses
it feels bad to kill it but it is better for it than suffering till something eats it

i have three cats and have had to deal with injured critters many many times. the first couple were brought to the vet but it just becomes ridiculous. If it seems they will have a fighting chance at survival, I will bring all the cats in and let the critter go on the outskirts of the yard. If theres no hope, I just use a shovel to end its suffering. May not seem humane but it is.

Theres no perfect answer here :/

Personally, id use a shovel to put it out of its misery. I know this can be hard for some people but it really is the fastest way with out a weapon and the poor thing won't feel a thing.

Call animal control. They will humanely put it down. I know you wouldn't want him to die, but there is no way he could live in the wild like that. You can always call a wildlife museum and they can come get it and nurse it, but that's only if there is one near you.

The best way to euthanize something small is with dry ice... Put the poor critter in shoebox or something, and put that in a cooler or some other small air tight box, with a big bowl of dry ice with water added to it.. Will just go to sleep.. Thats how rodents are humanely euthanized for the reptile food industry. (although on an industrial level, with C02 canisters and regulators..)

I'd put him out of his misery, big heavy rock, shovel, knife, pruning shears.....better than leaving him to suffer..I'd have no trouble doing it.

I have 3 big cats here, but i have to deal with damaged carnivorous plants.... LOL

I always have to close the doors!

I know someday i will forget... :/

Maiden

:down:did it, very large rock i made sure it crushed his head, then put the rock back on him for now, ill see his crushed body in my head for a while, but im also sure it was the right thing, his pain is over , hope some one will do that for me if i get in that shape. broken, useless and frightened.
thanks all for helping, just me here and no one around this weekend to tell me its ok.

man i sure sound like a weenie, but if this make me to sensitive. Then a weenie B I .
and no i did not wait all day, I did it before i posted the thread this morning, just need someone else to say do it, so i wouldnt feel worse about having already done it . thanks again!!

Eventually you'll see enough messed up stuff in your life that instances like this will seem like nothing. Well, hopefully you won't, but it does happen. At least it wasn't a friend or a pet.

Sorry to hear about this. Pets are worse, though, so I hope you don't have to go through that. I'm an animal lover, and recently lost a pet of 12 years, so I know how it can feel.

yup lost my schnauzer of 13 years , and i had to be the one to say stop her heart ,and it almost stopped mine,it took two years for me to get another dog , and now my new babie is 6 and 1/2 and im starting to feel the heat , their lives are so short , i have heard it said , they love so purely that dont need all the years to learn what it take us forever, andwe still have a hard time loving without putting ourselves first, and expecting something back.

Awww... Yeah, you did the right thing. It would have suffered the other way. It probably would have been better to just shoot it in the head if you had a gun... But still, kept it out of its misery. :(

yup lost my schnauzer of 13 years , and i had to be the one to say stop her heart ,and it almost stopped mine,it took two years for me to get another dog , and now my new babie is 6 and 1/2 and im starting to feel the heat , their lives are so short , i have heard it said , they love so purely that dont need all the years to learn what it take us forever, andwe still have a hard time loving without putting ourselves first, and expecting something back.

You could turn that into a song. Deep and its truth!

Sorry to hear about your dog. I love mine to death and she's 4 years old. I'm already dreading the day she dies. I think when I get another dog, I will choose a breed that lives super long. Or I can just get a parrot, it would live for like 60 years and I would have somebody there so I could claim I wasn't talking to myself... :(

I applaud you for being able to do what needed to be done, I am not that strong.

I applaud you for being able to do what needed to be done, I am not that strong.

You really summed it up there. I really admire your bravery, to end it's suffering. It might be tough but you did the right thing.

putting pets to sleep is real hard but needs to be done when they get to sick
putting people to sleep is only legal in Oregon

Don't worry, you did the right thing. I know how you must feel. . . I had three dogs that I used to play with a lot that had to be put down, some while we were on vacation :(. We can learn so many lessons in life but we can never truly be prepared for the death of those that we loved so much.

Memorial to one of my best friends

There will never be a friend to match
The little dog beneath this patch
With a heart as big as one can give
She taught us all how we should live

Back