Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sympathy for the broken ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sympathy for the broken ??

i need a little support here , i am an animal lover to the bone, and am unafraid to admit it.
    so here it is , you go out to do a little watering in the cooler morning air just an average morning , till you come across a chipmunk seems odd he isnt running, even odder his hind quarters look a little too spread out and relaxed for this sleek extremely quick animal, then as you get closer you see him panic and try and run, but all that is working is the front two legs, and he is only able to slightly pull himself along, and it becomes apparent he is broken badly about midway down his back. And as he pulls ahead right or left his back end seems glued to the ground.

Now me I have to sit down at the thought of stopping his pain, i know some of you would have no trouble here, but it tears at who i am deep inside.

There is no one but you , you cant ask someone else.

do you leave, and let him crawl away and die, SLOWLY STARVE ,try and scoop him up and take him to the vet, where they will probably just put him down. or finish him , and how do you do you do it > no guns it has to be at your hand.

quick he is suffering !
    quick he is SUFFERING !!

this just breaks my heart,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG that's horrible If he's in pain he's got to be put down imho. If you want to put a cart and wheels on him and keep him as a housepet that'd work if he isn't in pain. Otherwise? He's a wild animal and as such, eventually the wild will take care of him and he'll likely become someone's lunch if you do nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to kill a mammal so I'd just leave him and feel horrible for *months*. Unless there is a local wildlife rescue shelter - I went to one once and got to hold a one-eyed owl. There's always 'for lifers' there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, only it was a cat that did the damage and, just like you, tore me up. What I did was take the poor little thing to the vet and have it humanely put out of its misery, which they did at no charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had to put a road kill deer to sleep last month , got the cops to shoot it , its out of hunting season and don't want to risk a big fine
    you could hit a chipmunk with a shovel
    and it would kill it instantly
    wear gloves if you touch it it will have fleas and lice and could carry rabies and illnesses
    it feels bad to kill it but it is better for it than suffering till something eats it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have three cats and have had to deal with injured critters many many times. the first couple were brought to the vet but it just becomes ridiculous. If it seems they will have a fighting chance at survival, I will bring all the cats in and let the critter go on the outskirts of the yard. If theres no hope, I just use a shovel to end its suffering. May not seem humane but it is.

Theres no perfect answer here :/

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, id use a shovel to put it out of its misery. I know this can be hard for some people but it really is the fastest way with out a weapon and the poor thing won't feel a thing.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call animal control. They will humanely put it down. I know you wouldn't want him to die, but there is no way he could live in the wild like that. You can always call a wildlife museum and they can come get it and nurse it, but that's only if there is one near you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to euthanize something small is with dry ice... Put the poor critter in shoebox or something, and put that in a cooler or some other small air tight box, with a big bowl of dry ice with water added to it.. Will just go to sleep.. Thats how rodents are humanely euthanized for the reptile food industry. (although on an industrial level, with C02 canisters and regulators..)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast