User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New camera, new skillz... some interesting shots. (Thanks for looking!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New camera, new skillz... some interesting shots. (Thanks for looking!)

I'd love to get some constructive criticism. I took a DSLR photography course and would certainly value some input from people who've been doing photography for some time. Tell me if they see anything where I can improve my photography skills.

"There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pretty interesting shots, I like it.

Congrats on the new camera.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These make for a nice portfolio. Did you use a polarizing filter on some of the shots? I really like the lined shore crab in the tide pool picture. For critique - I would've preferred the dog had all of its nose, though the tight framing cutting off parts of his/her ears doesn't bother me. Instead it lends an intimacy to the photo. You really seem to have good control of focus/depth of field and exposure. 'This the sort of thing you're looking for?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome shots!! I really like the crab and the three pelicans.

Congratulations on the new camera - I look forward to seeing more!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have a good grip on your technical skills, based on the sampling above. The following comment should be viewed in context of my personal preferences, rather than pure, unbiased technical matters: most of your images are shot in full sun conditions, but I have found (for my tastes) that I direct lighting/cloudy conditions tend to yield richer colors, more depth of texture, and a kind of richness that direct sun does not provide. I compare the photo of the white dog with that of the small monkey two shots above it and find the wide range of values much more visually satisfying in the dog portrait. The broader the range of values (greys/mid-tones) in a photo, the more information you are providing the viewer, and the richer the experience is likely to be for the viewer. (of course there are always exceptions; that isn't a hard and fast rule. Sometimes reducing a scene to only a few values between maximum black and white renders the image as more of a graphic than a detail-rich photo, and that can be the better choice sometimes, just not in the case of most of your examples, IMO)

That said, you have handled the difficult task of rendering both shadow and highlight details in challenging lighting conditions very well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: are you working with RAW image data, or just good ol' JPGs? What is your image editing software? Just curious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those are so nice! Great job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this will add to and already talented grower , cant wait to see what you can do with all those cool plants in photography.
    not that you havent already impressed us all with all of your other pics.
    nice pictures by the way, and very nice surroundings, dont see the ocean everyday here in the mountains of va.
    cant wait to cruise to alaska in september, ill see the big water then. yip yip yippie!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast