Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Crisis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll let the experts give you advice on this problem but I want to say good luck to you and hope you can find a solution. I really enjoy the pictures you've posted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man that sucks! I really hope you can figure something out.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MICKEY View Post
    or just move to Oregon
    pssh.. I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    First of all, why not remove all the plants that need the cooler temps out of the greenhouse and onto a windowsill or something? Schizandra doesn't need any special conditions other than..
    Thought about that, but there's no temp drops from day to night, 40% humidity, and our S. facing windows are facing a row of tall trees. So not a whole lot of light..
    And I dunno about other people's schizzys, but mine are allergic to temps over 74*F. Deathly allergic..

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    just making a 12 hour shift. everything remains on and off for the same number of hours. Potentially ends up more light because I am certain they will get some ambient light in the day. Just need to see if you guys have an "off peak demand" time and if that time they get you better electricity rates. that will be the home run. I think Joseph Clemens did something like this in Arizona.
    This is actually a really good idea. Never even crossed my mind.
    They are on a 14 hour "on" light cycle now. But shouldn't bother them too much with a quick switch over to 12 on at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Can you use ventilation to help with cooling? Maybe run some ducting to the closest window and use fans to bring in cool air from outside.
    Just having the window open in the den works to cool the entire GH, in the winter.
    The problem with this time of year is: It's pretty hot outside (90*s), so it's heating up the room where the greenhouse is.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I know this may sound nuts, but why not get a solar panel for your most power demanding plant device? It may cost bait in the beginning, but it would pay off in the long run. First off, I would recommend what mato said to do and locate your most power-hungry device. It may not be the cooling thats affecting the electric bill but it may be the lights . . .etc. Also, do you have any garages or rooms mostly composed of cement? I find that having my highlanders in the garage makes a big difference in the temps due to the cold cement. (its 72 degrees in there and 98 outside now) Hope this helps!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Now I know this may sound nuts, but..
    I'm poor folk, hence the energy crisis.
    No garage, otherwise I would've done that long ago.

Someone asked why having to remove the AC would be such a big ordeal to me.
    Like Lance said, could be the lights. If the lights are too much to run, then this whole CP addiction has to come to an end.
    The AC could just be the tip of the ice burg. May be that entire room all together.
    At any rate, I have to make some serious changes. And I fear change, especially when I'm perfectly happy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the four T5 lighting systems with 4 bulbs are the bulk of my electricity bill. We don't have AC, do have a chest freezer (washer , drier, and electric water heater) But not using the drier and hanging clothes outside and all didn't change anything.... Bill is about the same and electricity prices per KW hour are very high here in Hawaii.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    I'd suggest doing that for every appliance you're running in the greenhouse, in order to weigh the benefits each brings to your plants versus how much it's costing you per month.
    I agree. I think kula's idea of using the lights at night (cooler and cheaper) is a good first step. Then once everything's settled down, maybe consider energy efficiency with your different appliances. Maybe consolidating multiple appliances could help; a good swamp cooler could replace the AC and the humidifiers. Or maybe switching your lights to LED. And as a last resort moving them outside would be so much better than giving them up!
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree.. But I'm saving that last resort until dead last. The outdoors scares me. Especially with our extreme Michigan weather.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast