Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outside. It's easier to heat something than it is to cool it and you're looking at free lighting during the half the year. In the winter months you can supplement with artificial lighting and/or move your most valuable and demanding plants inside for the winter where cooling becomes free also.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, my GH is in the basement, which I know you don't have, but it's somewhat similar regardless. It's getting over 100 here already and I've yet to plug in the portable AC unit. I've done what Mach recommended, running things at night, but for different reasons. The main issue with doing that is that, yes, you get to have cooler temps during the day because ambient temps are lower; but you lose your nightly temp drops, which I suspect many of your plants would be awful pissed off about. Me too, so here's how it works. The house's central AC (this is irrelevant to you if you don't have that...) runs only during the day, obviously, and I have a duct that leads to the GH just sort of crammed into the central AC's duct. So, during the day when the lights are OFF in the GH, but temps are HIGH in the house, the AC kicks on and blows into the GH, taking it down to around 65 at night. Beautiful. During the NIGHT, when the lights are ON, the basement has had all day to cool off from the central AC, and thus ambient temps are lower. Hygrotherm turns a fan on at 80 that pulls air from the basement into the GH. So, uhhh... jeez, that kinda gets confusing.

REAL day (GH night) = 65
    REAL night (GH day) = 80

And that works because the house's central AC turns on during the day, when the lights in the GH are off, thus really cooling the GH down.

But again, that might all be irrelevant to you if you don't have/use central AC... in which case, the single biggest thing I can recommend you do is to relocate the ballasts in your light fixtures (biggest source of heat), to somewhere outside of the GH and preferably with a fan that sucks the air off the ballasts and pushes it out a window (so you aren't just heating your house during the day). I know you're not real big on DIY stuff, and probably especially electrical work, and I understand that... but I guess it might come down to just how bad you want to keep your plants healthy while lowering your electric bill. Frankly, if you don't have central AC or at least naturally cool ambient temps to help you out, this is the only option I see. >.>

EDIT: Aside from moving things outside, obviously, but you said you're afraid of that... as would I be with Colorado's ridiculously extreme and notoriously unpredictable weather.

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mass, sorry to hear of this. I feel for ya though, as I am in the same boat....my bills are closer to $400.00 this time of year.
    As mentioned "night lights" are very popular with OGF'rs. Call your power company and ask if they offer reduced rates at night, also ask if they offer discounts for the disabled. Some companies do. If so, this would help at all hours of the day/night.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure how big of an area you need to cool. If it's not too large you could use some frozen gallons of water with fans blowing across them. Good insulation would help. Another thing i tried was to place a small indoor greenhouse i had directly over an a/c vent. Use what you have. Some of them might even be able to go in the fridge at night. You would need to have them bagged i would imagine d/t low humidity in there. Maybe even finding a old cheap fridge just for the plants.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another crazy idea I came upon recently was where some guy buried about 50 feet of pipe which he used to cool his greenhouse. As the air was sucked through the pipe the soil cooled it enough so it wasn't hot air like outside but cool air about as cold as the soil. I think you'll have to talk to an expert about this one since not many people use the method. I've heard it's been done with some houses in the UK.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along the geothermal lines, a house I used to have had a cistern (underground water reservoir sometimes incorrectly called a well), and I circulated water from that through a radiator in the house making my own cooling unit. Worked great. If you have a cistern or pond, it might be worth a try. You still consume energy with the water pump and fan, but not as much as with the ac unit. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Like Lance said, could be the lights. If the lights are too much to run, then this whole CP addiction has to come to an end.
    hmmm..I have been happily addicted to CP's for nearly 20 years, and haven't spent a penny for light, heating or cooling in all that time!

Scot

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast