Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Energy Crisis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what it would cost, but I am sure that one is available somewhere........

After my wifes back surgery, she was sent home with an "ice water recirculator" I AM SURE THAT IS NOT WHAT IT IS CALLED. It was a small cooler filled with ice then filled with water. The cooler had a pump that would circulatethe ice water through a chambered ice pack that was flexable and could be lted to her. The ice pack resembled a small air mattress. It had an adjustment knob on the top so that you could adjust the flow, hence being able to control the temp off the pack due to heat exchange. Depending upon the size of the cooler, size of the Ice Mattress and the size of the area you need to cool, one could probably be made for less than $100. Just my two cents and that can't even buy bubble gum anymore. Good luck and I will be cheering for you.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha.. you crack me up sarge.
    That is definitely affordable.
    It sounds similar to what Kyle is talking about. Or at least the same concept.: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5599699_n.jpg
    I'm just not super handy.
    Maybe I should just start to look for a used swamp cooler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Everyone knows I hate S. minor.
    HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!!!

i love S. minor...

anyways, i have been thinking about getting a GH myself , and all kinds of heating/cooling solutions have been running through my head, including hooking up one of the houses 2 central heating/cooling units to the GH. this would be totally impractical in my case, as the GH would be outside(and i doubt my parents would approve), but it might work for you!

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Larry, how're we holding up?
    What's an OGF'er?
    No discounts, we've already asked.

OGF'er....Oregon Green Free Member
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with whatever potential solution you choose. This hot spell is ensuring my basement plants are being heat stressed more than any other time in the past 5-6 years. Frequently the temps drop enough at night that I can stick fans in the basement windows and cool things down again to offset the few degrees heat gain during the day. However, recently even that has not been an option ... so the heat gain is cumulative ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mass, I grow my plants on the top floor of my house. It gets in to the 90*s often enough during the summer. Some can take it, and some don't, I kill lots of plants in my experimentation, but I keep trying. Don't give up! There is a solution for everything.

I take it that winter is not an issue, because you can just pump in cool air?

If so, is it possible for you to switch to a grow shelf/chamber that is easier to cool than your current setup? To use a smaller AC and fewer lights?

Have you made the interior surfaces of your setup as reflective as possible? I mean, just plaster everything in aluminum foil so you can reduce the number of lights you use. Do you really need all those fans? Can you reduce the number and just be more careful of where you put them, and use a diffuser?

What about the humidifiers? Can you make one big one that uses less power? Like Kyle has in his setup?

Don't use ice bottles, it will freeze the soil, and make the temps unstable throughout a large space. I just killed my nice SG regia the other day by freezing it to death.

Can you make a cooling recirculator? Like in Kyle's photo? Use a bathtub or cattle water trough as a heat sink, then run water through pipes that run through it. Because you have AC the water in the trough will stay cool, and if you run a fan through an old car radiator, you should get cool enough air coming out.

Swamp cooler?

Bins of dry ice?

Liquid nitrogen poured onto your plants?

Godspeed buddy, I really hope you solve your problems.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    travis that setup with fan and coil will work better if you cover the coil with wet cloth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prolonged heat/warm at night is becoming a pisser for me as well in the basement. I finally had enough and closed off my outside vents and opened another duct in the central ac. That should help with the night time temp drops I am looking for. I have a few drosera giving me the stink eye right now.

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast