Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Energy Crisis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just keeps getting worse. We lost power 3 days ago. Still no power here until Monday at the earliest. And it's been 100*F every darn day. The house is heating up something fierce. Already lost $300 worth of food in the fridge. Not sure how much longer the plants can hold out in the elevating temps, no light, and lack of airflow.
    Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bro! Don't give up! Don't get rid of plants! Make them grow! Or grow them to death! Go Macgyver those things... You will be surprised by what some plants can take...
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im with Peatmoss here don't give up man!! Spraying the tops of the plants with water every 30 min or so certainly helps. How did you loose power? Did a power line snap Im assuming? According to studies N. Macrophylla can live as a intermediate for a certain time while still pitchering and growing. I just got a doghouse AC unit (yeah, they do exist) which Im using to keep the Nepenthes cool. Maybe you could use this for consuming less power? Ill have to check into how much it consumes.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is he going to use a ac unit without any electricity?

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a serious note..give them a serious misting and pop the windows in the greenhouse as well as the windows in the room. Give it the best drop you can at night Travis.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, you are using a room AC to cool a greenhouse that is inside your house? The main problem I see with that, is it is cooling the greenhouse while pumping the heat into the room the greenhouse is in (your house) and then your house is having to cool that air. Is that what you have going on? You could move the g/h to the window so the AC is pumping the hot air out of the house completely out the window, then the room ac would actually be maybe helping cool your house (after it is done taking care of the heat your lights are making) and I would think that would be quite a difference in electricity use overall.
    good luck in whatever you try! And mostly at this point, getting your power back.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rig up some coolers. I think i'd put some ice water in the bottom, keeping the plants up above the water. Do that during the day and then maybe at night when it cools put them under some lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya Andrew! I believe Mass is using a "portable" air conditioner in which the heat is vented to the outside via exhaust duct mounted in the outside rooms window.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast