Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plant education

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've met some insanely smart 3-5 year olds in my time. I already have my girlfriend's nephew naming plant genera in Latin, and he's 6.

I'd go over the basics of photosynthesis, how they absorb CO2, and different habitats and plant groups. The weirder the adaptations and the stranger looking the plants, the better. Make sure to cover cacti and succulents, orchids, carnivores, aquatic plants, corpse flowers, and huge trees (redwoods, baobabs, giant sequoias, etc). Like I said, the more usual the adaptations, the wilder the colors, and the stranger the shapes the better. It'll hold their attention for longer than expected. And of course, live plants will always help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, great suggestions! This is very helpful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if they don't know their world geography, you could always say things like they live in the jungle or the mountains. Like pineapple said, demonstrations with live plants would be great. Maybe using a projector to show what you're doing on a larger screen would be better than making them crowd around and squint. For that same reason, it might be better to point stuff out on a large diagram instead on the small plant. I wish they did something like this when I was in preschool!
    -Arthur

Growlist

Come To The Light. . . JB in Utah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taught a CP class to adults and I can only tell you a little as far as how I would teach kids. I used 'The Savage Garden" as a basis for my class, but for kids I would probably go to the juvenile section of the library and look at books like 'hungry plants, etc.' there are tons of them and usually are written in language that is easy for kids to understand. That's where I'd start.

Have some fun activity for them to do like coloring (do a google image search for CPs and select line drawings on the options) or making sundew leaves with yarn and craft puffs/cotton balls, glue them on paper that looks like a leaf. These are ideas to prime the pump and get you started. Think hands on and the kids will love it.
    I should say something witty or remarkable but that would only prove my worth to society. To that I say meh!

The List That Grows. . . Utah Members Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only suggestion is that you threaten to feed them to your plants if they aren't paying attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12