User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: side benefit to cp: seems they attract different kinds of insects one isn't used to

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some cuties.
    I've gotta pic from the GH to contribute:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's a pretty little jumper. Very nice iridescence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wasp pictured is a mud dauber- almost harmless. They have stings, but are more interested in finding mud to build with than being bothered by someone leaning over and watching. I usually see them hovering on the Sarrs, and they come out a lot when I water. I just aim the water at a good clay-ey spot and tell them "come an' get it!" It is fun watching them make mud balls!

Oh, I love jumping spiders! They and mantids are the only invertebrates that will actually turn and look back at you while you're checking them out. Jumpers talk with their pedipalps, a sort of sign language.

I've found a number if interesting critters sow up at the bog, including pygmy hornets, water walking paper wasps, drone flies, robber flies and once a laquer-bright yellow and black fruit fly, with electric magenta and blue eyes. Never saw one like it before, and haven't seen it's like since. Unfortunately, I do most of my "wow!" bug finding in the pitchers. I have found metallic green bees, technicolor beetles, even some nice butterflies. It's amazing what comes around to sample the pitcher's wares.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lil Stinkpot:

Yup, thats them, thank you for the ID. They do seem very docile, don't seem to care about me at all. This is the first year I have seen so many. I can spend hours watching all the insects in the bog, every year see new ones I never noticed before. The jumping spiders are my favorite by far though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there seems to be a lot of different bugs around this year maybe the strange weather, my d regia seems to be catching a bunch of leaf hoppers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a lot of yellow jackets around my Sarracenia pool, and I discovered (if you're good at catching things) that a little water spritz makes thme helpless on the water surface, where I can pick them up with tweezers and make use of them in a pitcher somewhere.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happened to observe it stalking and catching a grasshopper....what a way to go! least the cp's suffocate or spiders use venom.....no such mercy from a mantis. Just pinned the thing down and devoured it alive....least it says grace I guess(bad pun post warning).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12