Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nepenthes at Sam's Club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Nepenthes at Sam's Club

Hey guys,
    My kid brother informed me earlier that he saw a Nepenthes for sale at Sam's Club when he was there this morning (this is in Southern California, LA County).

After questioning him, it seems that there was only one plant left. It was in a white hanging pot, likely a 6in pot and was tagged at $17.99. He said he found it next to all the other garden/plant/summer items like succulents, annuals, and evergreen shrubs they had for sale. He said it had lots of pitchers and that the leaves and growth point look nice and healthy (I've trained him well!). He also said that he did not notice a tag on it.

Just a heads up!
    -Joel from Southern California

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99% sure its a ventrata. The HD's around here get them in from a place in Cali in white hanging baskets. Large plants, tons of pitchers. Ask your brother if the pitchers were pink and green. If they were, its a ventrata from that place probably. I have one myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah a coworker just bought one and after getting a good look at it, I'd say ventrata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Sam's Club shops don't carry live plants here in Minnesota. Occasionally they have a palate of mixed Hibiscus in the very early spring (when it's too early to put them outside here) but no others at any other time of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    99% sure its a ventrata. The HD's around here get them in from a place in Cali in white hanging baskets. Large plants, tons of pitchers. Ask your brother if the pitchers were pink and green. If they were, its a ventrata from that place probably. I have one myself.
    I asked him. He says they were pink and green. That must be it!
    Too bad I don't grow Neps. I would be over in a jiffy if they had any Sarrs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He went back with intentions to pick it up, but it was no longer there.

He was there yesterday and he says they had a total of three for sale. He bought one. Here are the pictures:

Soil close up. Any ideas what it is?

Label:

---

Any help on the ID please?
    I don't know anything about keeping Neps, but I'm going to be reading up to help him grow it and provide good conditions. If it's ventrata, I hear it's easy to grow on a south or west facing windowsill. We're going with our sunniest south facing window for now. The next big issue is whether or not to repot.

Thanks for any and all help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Ventrata. Re repotting: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Let it settle in to it's new home for a few months before messing with its roots.