Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dry ice insecticide question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadnt thought of that. OK, in about 2 weeks I will be looking closely at the plants again to see if there were eggs that hatched or any survivors. if there are, I will repeat the experiment, with a thermometer and CO2 monitor so that I can post real data. You all have been a great help in this and the least I can do is when I have to repeat this, do it right. Thanks!

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, as mentioned on the listserv, co2 is heavy in relation to other atmospheric gases. Aphids target growth areas such as developing shoots and flower buds which are often located near the tops of plants. Need to find a way to make sure co2 gas reaches these target areas. I'm sure using boyle's law will help you figure out the desired co2 gas concentration and mass of dry ice used to fill up a sealed tank. Best of luck.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this I knew, heavier than Oxygen at least. I carefully removed the aphids from the upper reaches of the plants, sort of to see if they would climb from below but none moved. I have since cleared them all off, what I could find anyway.... I suspect that I ran into Boyles Law when after several hours, I noticed that the sublimation of the dry ice had ceased. There was still a good sized chunk left, but there were no observable vapours coming off of it any more, (I know they are invisible, but mixing with H20 vapour makes them ever so slightly visible) and there was no sound effects either. There had been a faint hissing/sizzling/cracking sort of noise. The instant I hit it with hot water though it all began over again and soon the remainder was gone.

BTW. most of the problems I have been having stem from these aphids hiding in the moss and dining on the plants at that level. it was only because of some of the more adventurous individuals, and the obviously aphid damaged growth that I noticed them at all, and by then it was pretty late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New results, not so good I am afraid... the two Mexican Pingucula and the Byblis I had in there collapsed over-night into yellow puddles of mush, and stringy bits. The Drosera and Utrics seem fine though. I had taken the plastic wrap off the top about midnight, but still kept the glass on top. The glass only covers about 4/5 of the top so it is why I need the plastic. I am kind of bummed out by this development as these plants were not buggy, but I had nowhere else to put them for a few days and also I wanted to be certain they really weren't buggy. With this new development, I really hope I do not have to repeat this experiment. That was it for my Mexican Pings and my Byblis. I have no more!

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me Im telling you 50/50 water alcohol has killed every mite, aphid, and pest that has started to infest my dews, Neps, and anything else you name it! If its dews you have, give them a good spray of water 5 minutes after and don't forget to get the soil top too since they could be in the soil. Alcohol evaporates very fast leaving the water molecules so no plant gets burned by it. If they are in the soil I rinse the soil with the mix and rinse the soil with water right after. I've done this many times over the years with no side effects at all. Aphids lay eggs which is why your probably not seeing them go away (the eggs aren't really effected by the CO2 much). I recommend doing this treatment once a week till there's no more signs, you never know which hatchlings somehow survive it but they can.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of alcohol? isopropyl or the "good stuff"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. I have some 90% Iso on hand... over-kill I think? I have killed/burned Heliamphora with alcohol (normal rubbing type cut 50%) before, but not Nepenthes. Never tried it on Pings or Sundews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12