What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another hobbyist site needs your help!

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
Hello fellow CPers!

I know that most TF members have interests in similar hobbies, including fish keeping and aquariums. Recently, Monster energy drinks has threatened legal action against the site MonsterFishKeepers.com claiming that MFK is infringing on the company's trademarks. Not only does the site have its own patented logos and designs, but any reasonable person should be able to distinguish between an online aquarium community and a refreshment corporation. In no way does MFK even begin to compete with Monster for customers.

While the law seems to be on MFK's side, the site does not have close to the amount of funds to back a full scale legal attack by Monster. This is compounded by the fact that many accessories and merchandise with the MFK logos are sold in order to curb the cost of running the site. At this point, we are looking for signatures and any other help available in attempt to stop this affront before it takes hold. This isn't the first time that Monster has tried to step on smaller businesses because of similar reasons either, and public support and negative reactions towards Monster have been largely successful.

Although I'm sure the majority of members here have no direct connection to this site or even the fish keeping hobby itself, it would be much appreciated if you could at least help spread the word and even contact Monster directly in addition to signing the petition (at the link below). As members of a similar online community we should stand up against large corporations and tell them that they cannot just walk all over us because they have access to money.

Thank you again in advance!

More info: http://support.monsterfishkeepers.com/
Petition direct link: http://tinyurl.com/c8q6nqs
Monster vs. Vermonster Beer: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091023/0448336651.shtml

Last edited:
Is it okay for me to start throwing bricks now?

Well, monster energy does taste like crap so I guess the same is with their actions :(. Not to mention that stuff is horrible for your body. Just told several people about this and signed the petition :).

Hey. I really only lurk here (obviously), but I thought I'd stick my head in here and say that I dropped Monster/Hansen beverages a "question/concern" making an appeal for reason. Like most attempts at reason, I'm sure it will be smothered by incompetence and futility, but word on the street is that it's the thought that counts. Good luck in your dealings with corporate America.

Is it okay for me to start throwing bricks now?

When did it ever become not okay? LOL

Well, monster energy does taste like crap so I guess the same is with their actions :(. Not to mention that stuff is horrible for your body. Just told several people about this and signed the petition :).

I've never even tried it myself, but I do agree that their actions towards other small businesses comes across more as corporate bullying than protecting their customer base. Thanks for spreading the word and signing!

Hey. I really only lurk here (obviously), but I thought I'd stick my head in here and say that I dropped Monster/Hansen beverages a "question/concern" making an appeal for reason. Like most attempts at reason, I'm sure it will be smothered by incompetence and futility, but word on the street is that it's the thought that counts. Good luck in your dealings with corporate America.

Thanks! Hopefully the the number of individual respondents (almost at 2500 signatures in addition to letters/emails/etc) will collectively bring this issue to light and make Monster realize how unjustifiable their actions really are...

Back