Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: These grow lists are huge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These grow lists are huge!

Just wondering how does everybody seem to have mile long grow lists.
    I look at a link in a member's sig, and see that it has about 50-100 plants (or more). Where do you put them all? How did you accumulate so many?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, its part hobby, part addiction. If one Nepenthes is good, surely 50+ must be better

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find that after a long enough period, you may end up ruining future orders and such just because there's a new plant for slae on a different site. That's how a lot of our lists get so long.
    Or we just spend every penny on plants all the time too.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy some plants, sow some seed, make friends and exchange plants, it won't be long before your list grows too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My list can only consist of a few. My parents won't let me get a greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    easy answer is time and it doesn't take much either most of the members with tons of plants don't have the infrastructure to support them all once they multiply and if the plants are not particularly valuable they give them bc they cannot be sold or traded quickly. Otherwise the alternative would be to destroy them. In only a few months one can accumulate many plants for little cost. From what I have seen sarracenia are circulated the most by far so if you plan on buying them.....don't. Drosera are somewhat circulated but only the common varieties same with dionaea.

eventually you may get something that someone else wants and you can then trade.....if i were you i would trade up. i.e. circulated cultivar for non-circulated(given away) cultivar. If you plan on a large order to mitigate shipping charges ask around first but you are better off going through a vendor....if you just want 1 or 2 consider putting circulating into the community via trade.

umm only other knowledge I have acquired during my short tenure is get clones: they seem to grow alot faster and usually if someone goes through the trouble of cloning a plant reason would dictate that it is a nice specimen to begin with. You do sacrifice variety in the beginning but once your clone flowers you have the possibility for many seeds and unique plants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 'good' windows and balcony are full of plants because what else would I decorate with? At some point, you wake up and just realize you have a hundred plants... if they're all 3"ers you don't realize it too often cuz those guys don't take up too much room. You'll just hit problems when they grow up

There are a ton of generous people in this hobby too so at some point, you'll do a trade, and instead of the 3 plants you were expecting, you'll get 20

Thx to the generous traders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ especially with nepenthes.....at first you are like. "aww look at the little guy" then "have u see my cat?"

if you are space limited; stick with drosera and dionaea or whatever other breed is small....i don't know much about SA pitcher plants(heli's) but both american and asian(nepenthes) ones are really fast growers in addition they will take up alot of room.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast