What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone please educate me about ipods?

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
All right. My new car has only one cd slot but instead expects you to have all your music on an ipod and plug it in. I know nothing about ipods. I already have a smart phone so i do not need anything to get on line, run apps, show movies, etc. I want merely to be able to load it with about fifty music cds. The choices are mind bending. I do know that a nano will work with my car (2013 hyundai sonata) but a shuffle will not. I know nothing about the variations between generations. I am planning on buying refurbished unless a fantastic offer lands in my PM box.

Thanks in advance,
chibae

how does the ipod connect to the car? is it through a plug that looks like a headphone jack?

ipods are basically iphones without the phone option.
We may have a spare around here somewhere.

They come with a USB cable that plugs into an outlet attachment for charging. Simply remove the outlet plug and use the straight USB port for car/computer use.

I'ts through a dedicated port/plug The car came equipped with the cord that looks like it has the standard iphone type chargerr (i work with iphone folk so I recognized it) along with a head phone jack on it

If you have unlimited 3g on your phone, you can just sign up for Pandora and stream internet radio you like. I use Slacker Radio because it is free, but if you upgrade an account on Slacker you can play individual songs and make playlists you like.

If you have unlimited 3g on your phone, you can just sign up for Pandora and stream internet radio you like. I use Slacker Radio because it is free, but if you upgrade an account on Slacker you can play individual songs and make playlists you like.

Thank you but that won't help. My cds are obscure celtic music groups, renaissance recorder music and instrumental instructional cds

Right, that won't work indeed! Guessing you aren't the dubstep type? :-))

iPod classic can hold up to 40,000 songs, probably a bit too big. But it is only $249:

http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/

At $149 for a 16gb model, the iPod nano is probably your best choice. That should be able to hold all your music:

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Do you have an Apple store in your area? You could go talk to them.

an 8G nano can hold more than 50 albums so that is probably a good bet. what about your existing smart phone? if it has a music application and storage capacity you could save the extra $$.

an 8G nano can hold more than 50 albums so that is probably a good bet. what about your existing smart phone? if it has a music application and storage capacity you could save the extra $$.

My car will not recognize the music on my phone unless it is plugged in. And my phone will not access the mini sd card if it is plugged in (not very smart of a smart phone I know). And it has no room for music to be loaded without the music being on the card.

cassettes rule,, why not just plat the music from the cd's

cassettes rule,, why not just plat the music from the cd's
because i don't feel like constantly changing CD's. My old car had a ten cd changer so I could load and go, this one has only a single. This means keeping a whole bunch of cd copies up front with me and having to fiddle with them while I drive,

because i don't feel like constantly changing CD's. My old car had a ten cd changer so I could load and go, this one has only a single. This means keeping a whole bunch of cd copies up front with me and having to fiddle with them while I drive,

Music DVDs are where it's at man! Hold way more music than a CD, without having to fumble around with mp3 controls to skip songs. That last bit isn't so important if you get an actual iPod, but the term has become almost synonymous with mp3 player. iPod mp3 players can be controlled by devices they are plugged into, I have yet to see any other mp3 player that does that. Curse Apple and there patents...

You can get huge (internal memory) mp3 players at fractions of iPod prices, that work just as well if not better. Only you wont have the hordes of accessories to choose from. I have a creative zen touch mp3 player, has all 200 of my CDs and tons more of stuff I've downloaded. I barely use it anymore. Whenever I get new music now, it gets burned to a DVD... Like the old days of making mix-tapes.

If you do go for a big mp3 player, Apple or otherwise, be sure to check out how well it will make playlists. It can be very aggravating if it isn't done right.

But ipod nanos are wway smaller than any mp3. Plus, when are you going to need 20,000 songs?

Back