Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: POTM voting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't agree with you more, Mass. I agree with the whole TF poll system as well, that would be fair and get rid of the tampering within the voting system, which completely takes away from the entire idea of having a contest worth winning in the first place if certain members will always be put down and others will be voted multiple times, no matter who has the better plant. And as far as the Anonymous person goes, that's seriously pretty immature and stupid of him/her to say that and change the votes. It takes away from the entire community as well as the contest to purposely alter the standings. What's the point of anyone entering the contest if one person can singlehandedly decide which plants finish in the top 3?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Why am I the only person that sees tampered voting as a big deal? "

You're not. I'm guessing folks have avoided the subject because its a touchy issue and once we open it up for discussion, its likely to get nasty. I suspect a lot of people don't want to admit its a corrupted process. I've already expressed my opinion on the entire "contest" approach and I think it tends to bring out the worst in people, not the best. If winning a prize, even an imaginary one, is what it takes to get people to take a decent picture of a treasured plant and display it here, then I think that is immediately the wrong reason, and the wrong motivation. But that's just my opinion. It really doesn't matter to me what happens, because I generally don't even LOOK at the voting results. I enjoy seeing what people grow and the nice photos they take, and that's all I want out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've suspected that i've been a victim of one of these voting schemes or whatever you chose to call them, though I never really went out of my way to figure out who was doing it. i recall losing twice in the voting statistics: my falconeri vs a light deprived capensis. i thought it only happened to me, so i thought nothing else of it, had i known it happened to others, i would have probably mentioned it way earlier.

sure it's easy to cry foul, but it's also good to remember that there really is nothing at stake in these competitions. we arent competing for a prize, and having a fun, carefree perspective on the whole thing helps deal with the trolls a lot. if we were to make this a serious competition with things like money and plant prizes involved, it would definitely be worth trying to find ways to ensure accurate counting of votes, but when it's just brownie points...what's the big deal of making much out of nothing?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say if making the voting system tamperproof is possible, why not just do it and stop debating? I find it rediculous that such an easy fix hasn't been made.....logic dictates that if there is a problem with something...you fix it.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    but when it's just brownie points...what's the big deal of making much out of nothing?
    what's the big deal of changing from a fraudulent system, to a legit one?
    It's such an easy fix.
    Why even fight doing the right thing? What's to gain from keeping the old system?

Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    I say if making the voting system tamperproof is possible, why not just do it and stop debating? I find it rediculous that such an easy fix hasn't been made.....logic dictates that if there is a problem with something...you fix it.
    my point exactly..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the vote results seem to be a bit off most of the time. Like with what amp said, great entries get low places and (in my opinion maybe) bad entries getting high ranks. I agree with Mark and Travis, there is no flaw with switching to a TF poll system so why are we still argueing about it. I know we arent winning anything but it feels bad getting a low rank, and even more so if it is a non deserved low rank like with mass, who in my opinion has some fantastic plants and photo skills. It's pretty obvious that this "anonymous" is guy is self conscious and jealous.
    Last edited by Heli; 08-05-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Edited kills to skills, mass isn't great at killing :lol: or at least I hope not :suspect:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we are to keep the picther of the month contest, then we should do something about the voting, and if some one on this forum is cheating the vote they need to be vaulted from the forum, seems if only current members vote, we could control each person to one vote each.
    Had I known there was a poll going on I would have voted to change this one rule.
    I missed the thread and didnt get the chance to vote before it closed.

As it seems to me, my being in the top three for the past two months was a bit strange. Mass your July nep was far and away nicer than my peter'd'.

However I will keep playing nice and hope all here will do the same, mass dont stop entering I want to see your neps, and I do like seeing the nicer ones in a thread side by side, if it has to be in a flawed contest so be it. (i would opt to stop the contest,and make it a friendly MONTHLY nep show [not just a picture of the day thread thats endless] as Whimgrinder suggests) I wouldnt even care if the MONTHLY nep show was deleted after say 60 days, so we dont flood the forum with more pics, after all it would be kind of like a show , where the plants go home, no going back and saying you just showed that plant.
    Ill go first see Monthly nep show thread today enter if you like.

I dont think most of us get to share this hobby face to face with the ones around us, so its hard not to keep showing them here, and if we only have a few, then these are going to be the ones we show again and again, thats OK by me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Still, I think both ideas will be flat out rejected because like you said, people do like to win.
    I agree that the ideas will be rejected but disagree on why. We've got lots & lots of threads with mediocre pitchers (& pictures). We don't need to kill one of the best monthly pic threads because noobs don't have a chance to win or because a few people are overly competitive. The noobs can still enter, people can still congratulate them (if they so desire) - they just won't win (but so what?). The overly-competitive people will be yanked back into line with peer pressure. Personally, I enjoy seeing the well-grown eddy (or mature villosa or klossii or...). We don't need to change things so there are more dime-store hybrids & fewer eddy's.

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    i've suspected that i've been a victim of one of these voting schemes or whatever you chose to call them, ...
    Ditto, except I was one of the beneficiaries. I posted my observations when the big 'poll' was being made (& before iirc) as well as in several PMs to interested people. Quick summary: after voting one month, I checked the results once or twice a day and watched as my entry was losing but then surged in the last 1/2 day before the finish (after most people had finished voting).

The poll that was used to decide whether to change anything was flawed. It asked far too many questions (which led to people just rubber-stamping their votes). My objections (& the ensuing discussions) were not enough to overturn the results for that one question (which voting service to use) since most people had already voted.

So yes, the results have been 'tainted' but as many have already posted - it's not a big deal. There's no real prize (or not much of one) and we all get to oogle some very cool Nep pitchers and sometimes some really good photography as well. Which leads us to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    I don't 'know' if the TF system is a cure-all but why not try it for a month or two? There's little to no downside ...

Soapbox mode: *OFF*
    Last edited by RL7836; 08-05-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast