Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: POTM voting

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Images can be embedded in the Cornell poll. It just takes a lot of extra typing to put the HTML code in.
    2) Polls can require a valid email address for each voter. This means the manager has to collect email address and enter them into the poll which sends an email to the voter with a URL and unique key.
    3) Polls can display the raw ballots. If the email key option is used the email address associated to each ballot can also be displayed. However this means the address will be stored on the server forever and not discarded. The email address are also visible to anybody that has the URL to the poll.
    4) A poll can be set to private and the results will not be displayed until after the poll closes. This has possibilities.
    5) Public polls can be embedded in regular webpages. A poll may be able to be embedded within a TF post. I'll have to play with the HTML and see if this is possible. If this is possible it means you can vote directly from TF into the Cornell poll.*

Results between the TerraForums poll system and the Cornell system can't really be compared. The TF system just gives the percent votes of each choice to the total number of votes. The Cornell poll uses a ranking or weighted system (as Brokken points out). It tallies the rank each choice is given by a voter. So if you just vote one choice at first place all the other choice will receive one vote at (say out of 14) 14th place. Ranking all 14 choices 1 through 14 would mean each choice would receive a vote at the rank you assigned it - so you will get much different results. The Cornell poll also uses a proportional system which compares each ranking group to another. I don't understand it so don't ask me. It hasn't interested me enough to get into the math and theory behind it.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 08-07-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: * clarify point 5
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit: nothing of value to add :-)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 08-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said in a previous post, why don't we just make the voting public, similar to "picking a number" in a giveaway? This would ensure that 1) people couldn't vote more than once 2) people would be reluctant to vote for themselves and 3) voting people down due to poor association would be conspicuous and probably avoided. I think in this particular instance, eliminating voter confidentiality would help more than it would hurt.

Also, we could limit discussion in the POTM thread similar to that of the NASC auction and "members photos" threads, in order to keep some of these specious debates to a minimum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    As I said in a previous post, why don't we just make the voting public, similar to "picking a number" in a giveaway? This would ensure that 1) people couldn't vote more than once 2) people would be reluctant to vote for themselves and 3) voting people down due to poor association would be conspicuous and probably avoided. I think in this particular instance, eliminating voter confidentiality would help more than it would hurt.

Also, we could limit discussion in the POTM thread similar to that of the NASC auction and "members photos" threads, in order to keep some of these specious debates to a minimum.
    Like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like that idea too, mato. Sounds like the best way to effectively answer all the problems we've been having

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with that is some people might get bent out of shape when they see their friends didn't vote for their entry or voted for someone else's. Some ballots are best kept secret.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The problem with that is some people might get bent out of shape when their friends don't vote for their entry or vote for someone else's. Some ballots are best kept secret.
    Those people should probably grow up and quit taking little things so personal.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    Those people should probably grow up and quit taking little things so personal.
    I think the fact that this has been a reoccuring problem is evidence that is not likely

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast