Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: POTM voting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides, it appears as if we can't find the "perfect" solution, so why not take the best (and easiest) of the bunch. If some people are gonna get so hung up over themselves and what their friends think, then I agree with drew, they shouldn't be voting and should stop being so immature.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are limitations what the vBulletin poll allows:

1) no min or max on number of choices that can be picked on multiple choice polls
    2) no way to display members names and how they voted. However there is nothing to stop people from making a "I voted for" comment unless the thread is closed to replies.
    3) Doesn't have the option to allow votes to be changed (by the voter) until the poll is closed.
    4) No option to display the results only after the poll is closed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    As I said in a previous post, why don't we just make the voting public, similar to "picking a number" in a giveaway? This would ensure that 1) people couldn't vote more than once 2) people would be reluctant to vote for themselves and 3) voting people down due to poor association would be conspicuous and probably avoided. I think in this particular instance, eliminating voter confidentiality would help more than it would hurt.

Also, we could limit discussion in the POTM thread similar to that of the NASC auction and "members photos" threads, in order to keep some of these specious debates to a minimum.
    I really like your idea mato, but like NaN said that could be a real problem when people see who voted for who. Questions would be asked like "why did you vote for the ventrata and not the Eddie?" . . .etc. Even if nothing is said gossip could spread around by certain people about how "so and so likes to vote for his entries" or "so and so likes to vote for so and so's entries because of a deal" . . .etc.

Sure, the TF voting system eliminates the exploiters who mess with the entries, but I'm sure a problem will arise if someone wins by only one vote would cause even more things to rise like "did he vote for himself to win?" or "he encouraged his friend to make one last vote" . . .etc. Also, theres a high chance that a tie between first place and/or second place could happen which would increase the tension as to how the voting was done.

After having looked at all the problems the POTM contest has faced (as well as other contests on other non-related forums) I think the best thing to do to end all the arguments (all that) would be to just not do a contest at all. There's too many problems with having the contest exist in the first place.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    After having looked at all the problems the POTM contest has faced (as well as other contests on other non-related forums) I think the best thing to do to end all the arguments (all that) would be to just not do a contest at all. There's too many problems with having the contest exist in the first place.
    I differ.

The so-called 'problems' with the contest are minor compared to the overall enjoyment experienced by the vast majority of people who view, vote or in some way contribute to the POTM threads each month. Removing the contest is capitulating to the fears of the minority --- and imo, that's not an option. Stopping something this popular because someone's feelings might get hurt in some way borders on silliness.

Whether it's the competitive basis of this thread (POTM) or just the comparative showcase of this & many of the other threads highlighting great plants, great pics & innovative/unique compositions - the overall improvement of the photos (& the shared assessments) have helped improve the quality and even some of the educational value of Terraforums. The inherent nature of these comparisons (whether deliberately competitive or not) has helped to push many TF contributors to new levels of excellence not seen before (imho). Limiting the potential catalysts of this ongoing improvement would be a strong move in the wrong direction .....

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really dig that concept Mat, but after reading on to why people think it's a bad idea, I had to agree.
    Personally, I don't care who my friends vote for. All of my friends are opinionated, so I'd never ask them to not make up their own damn minds.

I just want the outcome to be something.. fair.
    If that means less voting perks, then so be it.
    Still can't get over how my veitchii x lowii took dead last (months ago), and an unopened pitcher took 6th. Obviously this process is flawed..

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, did you ever consider the date when all this happened? What day did the voting open?

All that was needed to do was to restart the poll and see if anything "fishy" went on again.

As far as the July vote goes as soon as people started complaining about fairness or someone gloating about manipulating the vote I started to look at the trends. I'm seeing the same trends between the two polls: 1st and 2nd place are pretty solid, 3rd through 6th bounce around. The "official" poll closed with 22 total voters, the revote (last time I checked) was at 32 total voters. Up until 13 revotes the ranking between the two polls was almost exactly the same, then 1st, second and third started shift. When the revotes reached around 25 total the results again became closer to what the "official" poll shows. The differences are almost certainly caused by the different scoring systems.

Quite honestly I don't see anything that looks like manipulation in the latest poll.

As Andrew posted in the current POTM thread: All his has been discussed at length and voted on before. If you don't like what the consensus was before, just don't enter the contest.

For the record I've always advocated using the vBulletin polling system. It means an administrator (Andrew) or one of the mods having to set it up but it is easier and convenient for the user. The scoring system is more transparent and simple to understand. And there is only one vote per member. A few people have said they just don't vote because they can't be bothered to go outside TF to do it. I think the difference in the total votes so far 22 vs 32 bears this out.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    There are limitations what the vBulletin poll allows:

1) no min or max on number of choices that can be picked on multiple choice polls
    2) no way to display members names and how they voted. However there is nothing to stop people from making a "I voted for" comment unless the thread is closed to replies.
    3) Doesn't have the option to allow votes to be changed (by the voter) until the poll is closed.
    4) No option to display the results only after the poll is closed.

I can pick a Max but not a min (as the new one I put up you can pick up to 3)
    I can make the voters public... I just haven't before. (or maybe it's I can view them... I could post them at the end if that's wanted :P )
    and the last two I cannot do to the best of my knowledge.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 08-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 3 is actually ideal. I always frown during months where there are 15 or more entries. It's hard to vote for them all. I think the top 3 would be great!
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast