Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: POTM voting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

POTM voting

I know this month's "hostilities" are going in a few different directions, but this is the only thing we can change.
    Just out of my own curiosity, wondering what everyone thinks.. now.
    Yes, we've already voted on this, but amuse me.
    Rather than having 20 questions for you to answer, here's just 1.

Would you rather have a fair public TF poll, or a private POTM voting site that people can screw with?

Accept the things we cannot change, and have the courage to change the things that we can.
    I'm not scared to ask the obvious. How else is anything going to change around here?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't we do a TF poll to choose if we should do a TF poll for POTM . I agree though, I think we should use the TF poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It then begs the question: If people are gonna get uppity, complain, get upset over such things, why have them to begin with if people are not going to be mature and take it with a grain of salt?
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you referring to me needing to grow up and take this with a grain of salt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone just needs to calm down. mass your truncata veitchii is gorgeous btw.
    Anyway, it seems like many of the veteran members at least they are veteran from my standpoint, prefer the way it is now? Correct me if i'm wrong. And the newbies and younger members want to use TF polls? My personal vote is just use the TF poll. As far as all the bickering I say calm down and act like adults (if you are one) and if not try and at least see both sides of the argument before rushing in with your comment (helps keep out the drama). As for the pitcher of the month, I have seen comments by other members like its seems like this is more 'Hamata of the Month', 'Jamba of the Month', 'Villosa of the month', 'Super Rare Expensive Nep of the month', etc. and I tend to agree. Now whether this is because the voting results were skewed or not doesn't really matter to me. I just think that the TF poll will help with the alleged problems. As for the plants like villosa, hamata, and jamban, and the other rare nepenthes that seem to always win over the more common nepenthes I think that is fair. Not all of us can afford the setups to grow such expensive plants and even if we can afford the setups you might not want to risk buying such expensive plants. That is what deters me the most from trying to grow ultrahighlanders, if I kill it there goes $2-500 :P Anyway, for those that are able to grow them I feel that they have the right to show them off and be proud of growing such hard to grow plants. I just think that it would be nice if they gave the rest of us poor folk a chance to win every now and again However, they have every right to be proud of their plant and every right to enter it into the competition.
    Long story short, I think we should change the voting system to a TF poll and hopefully people will vote for something aside from the amazing super rare neps that only a few of us are priveleged enough to have.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.. I know Warren. As I stated in my first post..
    But it's obvious that nothing is changing for the better around here.
    Hell, I've got an "anonymous" TF member sending me hate mail gloating about how he get's away with tampering with the votes just to screw me.

If everyone is okay with random people tampering with the voting system, then by all means.. proceed without me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my long history with horticulture pursuits, I have seen it happen again and again: no matter what group of people is showing off their favorite plants of whatever genus, the very second it is turned into a "contest", people become aggressive, goal-oriented, prize hungry and just plain rude to one another. Any time you have "winners", that means there have to be "losers" too, and that is a shame because lets face it, everyone who submits a photo of their beloved plant does so because they love the plant and are taking pride in having grown it with skill and care. Nobody wants to find out they've been voted into the bottom 3 on a list of fifteen or twenty entries.

IMO making it a "contest" is a poor choice. Simply presenting our plants as a monthly "gallery of skill and beauty" means nobody gets their feelings trampled, nobody feels they have to reach for a coveted prize of popular appreciation. But having been involved in plant societies numerous times, I know for a fact that such an option will be rejected flatly and without serious consideration; people like to win, period.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast