What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curiosity has landed!

guess what, it doesnt matter! we can determine if we could colonize mars regardless of whether or not life once existed there.

lmao shears ^ you funny. and most certainly one of those ppl im talking about.

stifle the human race? are you listening to yourself? cuz finding fossils of some micro organisms is gunna boost us so far? :awesome:

i really need to stop coming back in here.... my face and palm are gunna fuse together

lets agree to disagree :lol:

I really think the main reason for the mission is "Curiosity" itself. Plus it would be pretty cool if we found life.

I think it's important to continue missions like this. I just wonder if there is a way to keep the price down? I'm not entirely sure why everything has to be so expensive (probably most of it goes into fuel and such). If there was a way to do this with 10% of the budget that would be way rad.

I think it's important to continue missions like this. I just wonder if there is a way to keep the price down? I'm not entirely sure why everything has to be so expensive (probably most of it goes into fuel and such). If there was a way to do this with 10% of the budget that would be way rad.

2.5 billion is actually not that much money compared to what our government pours money into.

The plans that are inforced by our government and president have out summed hundreds of times over the cost of this mission and look how far that extra money for hungry mouths has gotten us. The people who get all that free food have learned that they can sit back while we make the money that goes into there pockets. I am not trying to be mean to anyone person who may be down on there luck but these overly expensive packages for the feeding of the hungry has led to the hard working american to get the short hand. I mean not even the people that work hard all there lives are going to be able to get social security because the government is only looking out for the people who vote for them and there are a lot of hungry people willing to spend an hour of there lives to go vote so they can get a free ride. Those are personally my thoughts, not trying to hurt any ones feelings.

haha I knew a rant would get started over this! Look, it's good that we pioneer into space because one day that will save are arses from the sun, which is getting 5% hotter every billion years or so. In 1 million years we won't be able to live here in comfort and the only thing that will save us is our know-how in space travel. Besides, look at how space travel has advanced our technology! To name a few theres cancer radiation, artificial limbs, chemical detection techniques, highway safety, land mine removal, fire resistant metal and materials, water purification, software improvement, GPS, medicine, and of course, temper pedic foam. Theres many more that have all affected everyones lives. Just think of how many lives can be saved with all those? Sure, theres hungry people out there, but in the end a lot of those people would be desceased if it weren't for all these technological developments that space has given us. Heck, the new laser used to zap away martian rocks could one day be used to cut a victim free from earthquake rubble.

And where would we be without the temper pedic swedish sleep system? :-D

Last edited:
picard-facepalm.jpg

What we don't see in the image of Picard, is the comfort he is sitting in, because his rear is resting on a space program developed cushion.

you forgot cat scans now they need to invent birth control from space, shoot some kind of ray that stops pregnancy, unless you wear shielding, or take an antidote

I think we should go to Vulcan instead of Mars.

I think we should go to Vulcan instead of Mars.

Does going to a marian VULCANO help you out at all?

Sorry.

Wonder if the space industry will come up with some new tech to help me with my terrible humor.

Guys, just to clear things up, although I believe it's a waste of money, it's not as if that money would have been spent to help feed the hungry or anything.... Just saying.
Heli, although yes in 1 million years we won't be able to live on Earth, it's not exactly as if moving to Mars is going to help anyone... People would need to actually leave the solar system as one won't be able to survive on any of the planets in our solar system when the sun does eventually die because the ensuing explosion, or supernova, would envelop much of the solar system and make the rest of it completely inhospitable for any type of human life. Setting up a colony on Mars isn't gonna happen.
Shears, :0o: what on Earth are you saying...? See what I said above, and seriously consider whether one trip to Mars is going to change the fate of the human race one million years from now... jeez.
Finally, jrmc, I completely disagree with your assertion that giving care packages for the hungry is a waste at all. The recipients certainly aren't laying back and taking the food and resources for granted, they're most definitely very happy and filled with gratitude to receive such basic necessities which they can't provide for themselves. You say we're getting the short end of the bargain, but this is about giving and supporting our fellow American citizens, not trying to profit. C'mon, the goal is to help, not to gain individually, that's ridiculous. The hungry and unlucky actually need the money, not us. Besides, you say the "hard-working" American is getting the short end of the stick. Who works harder, the person taking any job to provide for his family and working ridiculous hours for horrible pay or the businessman filling out papers in his air-conditioned office?
And now my ranting is done :-D

One last thing:

Thing globally, act locally.

BOOM.

Thanks myles, glad you like it!

Peat: I believe you meant to say "think" not "thing" but nice piece of advice :D

Can we all agree at least that science is pretty cool? I mean, we have a robot on another planet. I think that's pretty cool.

Back