Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP!!! Swamp Cooler!!!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I thought you were just going to set it on bricks or something.
    I don't have that many bricks. I want to put it up where the hole is where the swamp cooler was, so that's like... 4 feetish off the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents won't let me get it because you have to hook it up to a drip system... So I'm still looking for one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one my parents have is a big one with a drip system - if you want a large one, expect to pay for it - unless you can find a used one on Craigslist. Motors and pumps go out regularly so expect to have to replace one or both.
    My parents paid about $400 for theirs around 1990, so they aren't cheap but they obviously last a long time since they've had the same one for about 20-22 years. Kind of goes with the "you get what you pay for" idea. For what you are looking for, I'd look on kijiji (now ebay owned) or craigslist to find a used one.

Also, if you get a used with a drip system style you can always soak the pads with a garden hose, but the drip system lines and faucets aren't expensive and don't use a ton of water either, the only thing is you need to have somewhere to drain it (it hooks to a garden hose) that can stay pretty wet.
    Last edited by AshG2385; 09-07-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling, oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the reason I've been putting it off is because I can't find a single one that will fit my needs. I just want a box-shaped one with a fill-up on the front, an air intake OR a hose on the back to hook up to the outside air, a water tank that you fill up rather than hook up to a drip system, 1000CFM minimum. I CAN'T FIND A SINGLE ONE. NOT A SINGLE ONE. It is okay if the fill up is on the top, simple things like that I would work with if I could find one even CLOSE to what I want.

I'm ready to just give away all my plants and give up seriously. IDK what I would do with the greenhouse. Like OMG this is stressful and I don't want to deal with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only seen one box style one that had a fill up on the front of it like that, and my mom has it - it's ancient! From before I was born (so it's probably 30+ years old) - again, try Craigslist for a 2nd hand one. My mom used hers to keep rabbits cool in a trailer over the summer.
    I'm going to call her tonight, I'll ask where she got it, if she remembers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AshG2385 View Post
    I have only seen one box style one that had a fill up on the front of it like that, and my mom has it - it's ancient! From before I was born (so it's probably 30+ years old) - again, try Craigslist for a 2nd hand one. My mom used hers to keep rabbits cool in a trailer over the summer.
    I'm going to call her tonight, I'll ask where she got it, if she remembers.
    Thanks... Let me know what she says.

I'll keep stabbing myself in the leg by trying to find a swamp cooler in the meantime.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mwan the fresh water supply? I am confused by the term drip system... It is just 1/4" water line to a water supply... or a hose adapter. You dont HAVE to hook that up but id bet you will run out of water. An option to try would be a bucket or barrel higher than the cooler with a hose hooked to the bottom to gravity feed the cooler.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 09-08-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom said she got it second hand in Phoenix, before I was born...so, no help there, sorry.
    USDA Zone 4b
    My Grow List
    There are only 01 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast