What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TF Rendezvous in Portland, OR

Man it's my buddy's wedding this weekend, otherwise we would both be down to join you. Before I registered for the forum we were both talking about finding a CP club here. I'll be there in November for sure.

... I'll be there in November for sure.

We'll be looking forward to meeting you then. :) We have a great group and have a lot of fun.

I will be there as well, bringing some plants in need of new homes before winter sets in. :-D

Randoja: Hope to see you at the November meet!

Change of plans, I'll be there.

It's looking so good! 'See you all there!

Hey this is kind of off topic but you guys may have some insight. Is the Portland tap water ok for Nepenthes? I live in SW, not on the Clackamas watershed which is fine.

Hey this is kind of off topic but you guys may have some insight. Is the Portland tap water ok for Nepenthes? I live in SW, not on the Clackamas watershed which is fine.

I haven't personally tested the water on the west side, but the water from Bull Run, which is what we get in the NE, is very soft and perfectly fine for these plants.

I haven't personally tested the water on the west side, but the water from Bull Run, which is what we get in the NE, is very soft and perfectly fine for these plants.

Sweet, i checked the map and that's what we get in sw too.

:banana2: Once again, it is only one week until our next meet-up at the Moon and Sixpence. If you're new to our get-togethers the time is 3:00 PM on Saturday Nov. 8. For directions see the first posts on this thread. Last month was a ton of fun! Everyone interested is welcome. Come meet friendly people who are carnivorous plant nuts like you are. :boogie:

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a local Portland garden store that carries suitable potting material for nepenthes? I just had a brain fart and ordered a plant before I had soil to put it in. Sorry to muddle up the thread with off topic stuff, but I figure this is where I can get the most attention from portlandites.

Neps are not my first love nor my real strength but when I do grow them I use a mix of medium orchid bark and long-fiber sphagnum moss with maybe a bit of peat moss added. The first and last I buy from my local Fred Meyer's gardening dept. The lfs I buy off the internet as it is hard to get good quality locally though the cheap stuff might be just fine in this application and my local Lowe's carries it. There are certainly other recipes for Nepenthes mix some of which might be better for you depending on your conditions. 'Hope this helps some. I'm sure you could do better asking others at the meeting next weekend as we have several accomplished nep growers who regularly attend.

Last edited:
And a bump, because Sat is coming up soon!

Going to make it this month! yay. (atleast thats the plan as of right now)

A week from tomorrow, on Sat. the 13th, will be our December meeting. 'Just wanted to remind those intending to come that it is coming up. Fun will be had.

I feel a little regretful that we have had such awesome plants show up in months past and no pictures were taken. I am going to start photographing the plants that are brought and post the photos here. This ought to make this thread a little more interesting, which should be good news to everyone. :)

Sounds like I have to work :(

Can't wait!

Just a quick reminder that the meeting is tomorrow at 3. I'll be the one furtively staring into my gin and tonic.

Just a quick reminder that the meeting is tomorrow at 3. I'll be the one furtively staring into my gin and tonic.

And, no doubt, sitting behind some mind-blowingly cool Nepenthes plant. ;)

Back