What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TF Rendezvous in Portland, OR

A bit of an irony considering how bright and warm it has been throughout most of the week. But the pub is always a cozy retreat in rainy weather.

I will be there tomorrow and have a horde of flytrap seedlings to give away. Kinda late notice, but I did not receive the seedlings until today.

Last-minute reminder, I will be bringing my flowering Darlingtonia again in case anyone has one to cross-pollinate with. Surprisingly the flower still looks good after a month!

Sadly I had to watch my sister competing in a greek olympiad instead of coming…

It was a small, but pleasant, turnout this time. More giveaway stuff than people to absorb it. But no worries as I suspect much of that will return next month and possibly more will be added. And maybe we will have sunny weather and be outside in the back area. Fingers crossed!

I am bummed I missed it, but i am hoping to be there next month. Maybe i'll bring some rays of sun with me. :)

Can you believe it's June 1st already!? This last month seemed to just fly by! I am excited and a little sad about this month's meetup. I will be there for sure, but this will probably be my last one for the summer. We are moving and this will be our last weekend in Portland, at least for this summer. I will be bringing a couple little giveaways that i am excited to share for the first time. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this month. :)

Last edited:
Can you believe it's June 1st already!? This last month seemed to just fly by! I am excited and a little sad about this month's meetup. I will be there for sure, but this will probably be my last one for the summer. We are moving and this will be our last weekend in Portland, at least for this summer. I will be bringing a couple little giveaways that i am excited to share for the first time. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this month. :)

'Sucks that we will be losing you :(, but I'm glad you will be there. :) Hopefully you will return at a later date?

Last edited:
Yes, we are hoping to be back this fall sometime. I'm glad I will get one more time to see everyone.

Hey everyone. New to TF and the group, but would love to come to the next meeting. :)

We're always glad to have more people. All the information's in the first post, so feel free to stop by this Saturday! Just look for the strange people in the pub with a table full of plants. We will likely be in the outdoor area out back if the weather's good.

I will be bringing an assortment of plants for giveaway; sarracenia, flytraps, sundews, and maybe some Byblis seedlings that recently popped up in The Bog and P. grandiflora seed collected from my plants. NOT wanting to take any of these back home, so please don't be shy about taking what you want. It does not matter whether you have anything to offer or not, people who bring giveaway plants/seed/moss/etc. usually do so because they have excess and need to find homes for them :-D

- - - Updated - - -

Hey everyone. New to TF and the group, but would love to come to the next meeting. :)

We would love for you to join us on Saturday, new people are always welcome!

[MENTION=8688]DJ57[/MENTION] I will gladly take some of those P. grandiflora seeds and Byblis seedlings :-D You grow P. grandiflora in your outdoor bog correct?

Last edited:
I'll probably end up taking home some of those too... I can't resist the plants! I will have some seeds to give away as well, and possibly some Utrics.

Can't wait! I've got a bunch of scorpioides pots I'll bring to share :) It'll be the day after my bday, what a present to get to meet everyone- very excited!

Jeff and Jacob will not be able to attend again, but Jacob gave me a tray of S. purpurea to bring for giveaway and also a few VFT Red Sawtooth. I hope we can sit outside because I have too much for inside.

[MENTION=8688]DJ57[/MENTION] I will gladly take some of those P. grandiflora seeds and Byblis seedlings :-D You grow P. grandiflora in your outdoor bog correct?

Yes, both P. grandiflora and Byblis grow in my bog. The P. grandiflora seem to hate me when I try to grow them in pots ???

Yes, both P. grandiflora and Byblis grow in my bog. The P. grandiflora seem to hate me when I try to grow them in pots ???

I don't have an in-ground bog, so I'll have to try using a large pot I guess. I did not know that the byblis would do well outdoors, do they just not germinate till spring?

Last edited:
I'll be there!

Probably showing up with Scatterpants :)

Last edited:
I don't have an in-ground bog, so I'll have to try using a large pot I guess. I did not know that the byblis would do well outdoors, do they just not germinate till spring?

I think it is just me and my conditions that they hate in pots (soil media and watering), so the P. grandiflora might grow good for you in whatever size pot you put them in. They tend to rot easily in pots for me. Maybe if I used a peat/sand mix instead of peat/perlite they would do better in pots for me, don't know.

I think people treat Byblis seed before sowing with GA3 or something similar and get good germination. Me, I just let the seed drop where they may outside and in the spring get sprouts, but then most people grow Byblis normally...inside, haha. They are annuals for me outside, but produce lots of seed to start over with. I don't have inside growing space/setups so most of my plants are grown outside year-round except the cephs, regia, and a few odds and ends I grow in the unheated garage year-round on the window sill.

Below are a couple pics of Byblis growing in my bog outside last year, two different locations in the bog getting full sun all day. They don’t seem to grow as tall outside as ones grown inside and look “beefier” than inside ones. Being shorter and fuller they don’t fall over and no need to stake them even in breezy conditions, I like that.

21417428208_f781b7d22e_z.jpg
[/url]Byblis l. by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
21614129701_04d31858b7_z.jpg
[/url]Byblis l. by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back