User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: My botany teacher is giving me a chance to grow any plant I want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafKirby View Post
    This is important for it will be a both a grade but she is also willing to pay for it and wait a few weeks for shipping!
    What are the criteria for a grade & how long until you're evaluated for the grade?

I would recommend something that few people have seen & has a bit of a 'wow' factor. Cephs are obviously 'cool' but quite slow-growing - as are many Neps.

Without knowing the answers to the questions above, I'd recommend a floriforous / robust Utric like the white form of U. sandersonii. The constant stream of beautiful flowers will impress and you can work on getting microscope pics of the bladders to help your grade. Another plant that could be impressive is S. psittacina. When it goes dormant, do a longitudinal cross section of a pitcher showing the lobster-pot trapping mechanism (& windows) with the backward-point hairs (definite "A" material).

In your climate, don't consider Darlingtonia -- yikes!
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    What are the criteria for a grade & how long until you're evaluated for the grade?

I would recommend something that few people have seen & has a bit of a 'wow' factor. Cephs are obviously 'cool' but quite slow-growing - as are many Neps.

Without knowing the answers to the questions above, I'd recommend a floriforous / robust Utric like the white form of U. sandersonii. The constant stream of beautiful flowers will impress and you can work on getting microscope pics of the bladders to help your grade. Another plant that could be impressive is S. psittacina. When it goes dormant, do a longitudinal cross section of a pitcher showing the lobster-pot trapping mechanism (& windows) with the backward-point hairs (definite "A" material).

In your climate, don't consider Darlingtonia -- yikes!
    Its a plant for the entire school year. The greenhouse can hold tropica,l temperate, "outdoors", desert, and has lights. It also has this miniroom that can change temperatures much more extreme. A material is really having a plant that survives nicely, I also need to keep journal entries.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utricularia nelumbifolia has nice big umbrella leaves and has huge purple blooms & nice big traps, if you do consider nelumbifolia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Utricularia nelumbifolia has nice big umbrella leaves and has huge purple blooms & nice big traps, if you do consider nelumbifolia.
    That sounds like one I could go for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wee with any sundew, you could show leaf cutting and how they grow into new plants. You could also show how leaves curl over their prey, maybe make a picture chart of some sort showing when the fly landed on the plant and when the sundew unfurled and the fly was dead.

Maybe a Capensis "Giant" or Wide leaf?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brinkerh420 View Post
    Wee with any sundew, you could show leaf cutting and how they grow into new plants. You could also show how leaves curl over their prey, maybe make a picture chart of some sort showing when the fly landed on the plant and when the sundew unfurled and the fly was dead.

Maybe a Capensis "Giant" or Wide leaf?
    Sundews are 2easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, personally I think that a large sundew could have tons of potential tests and cool observations. Plus, they definitely have sufficient wow factor. When I showed my clump of D. indica to people at a summer camp I worked at, they were blown away. I had left them outside for a few days, and they had tons of flies stuck all over them. D. indica would be cool to have, as it's fast growing, strong, and very aromatic, but you can't really do the leaf cuttings brinkerh420 made the great point of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    Ya, personally I think that a large sundew could have tons of potential tests and cool observations. Plus, they definitely have sufficient wow factor. When I showed my clump of D. indica to people at a summer camp I worked at, they were blown away. I had left them outside for a few days, and they had tons of flies stuck all over them. D. indica would be cool to have, as it's fast growing, strong, and very aromatic, but you can't really do the leaf cuttings brinkerh420 made the great point of.
    I currently have D. Indica

:>

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast